Engine ?? What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.powerwagonlocker.com
Alright,

So following the 11,000 mile road trip, I wanted to figure out what is going on with the 2F and why I am using some oil. I took it into the shop and before I hear their diagnoses, I am wondering what to do if it infact needs some major work....I am picky and even though it runs great, if it is going to be burning 1 qt per 3000 miles for ever, I will have to fix it. If the engine needs a complete overhaul, then I am not too keen on spending 6-8k on the original engine

So, do I throw in a Vortec 350, a Vortec 4.3L or a 1HZ from Japan? I figure that either Vortec swap will run about the same as the factory rebuild and the 1HZ swap will run about 15k. I know that I would rather have the diesel, but once I go down this road, I have left the region of ever getting my money out of this truck...

Thoughts?

Hopefully the report will come back that a cylinder head will solve the problem and this will be a moot point, but just in case, excite me about the possibilities!!

Have a great day,
Dan

Last edited:
Don't know the milage but wise to wait to find out what the problem is.

You may have a broken or weak rings and it may just need re-ringed and all new gaskets and seals. If you have a broken ring it may need to be bored.

I would hold off on the V-8 conversion unless you can do it yourself. The cost to have it done correctly can be up there in price.

Well,

Total mileage is 216,000. Mileage since $9k rebuild of the engine with all factory Toyota parts and Toyota labor, 40k.

With the amount of money that I already have in this truck, what's a little more. The way I figure it, using genuine Toyota parts, if I get into machine work on the engine, it won't take long to break $5k in parts and labor. I figure I can have a Vortec swapped in for about $8 and that would be a cheap upgrade at that point. Now the Toyota Diesel would only be done if I keep the truck for a long time. I love this truck, but with just having moved to Shanghai, I have been on the fence about selling it. And, with how nice this truck is, I will get slammed if I try to sell it without it being as perfect in every dimension as it is except for the engine, right now.

But, yes, I am not going to jerk the engine out for a swap without first hearing from the shop that is taking a look at it to see what it would take to fix it. I was, however, hoping that some people would get me really jazzed up about the 1HZ so it wouldn't hurt as bad if they say a total rebuild is required.

It is kind of a puzzeler, because if I was keeping it to drive then I wouldn't mind the oil burning too much, but if I am selling it I want to have it perfect. And, the only way that swapping in a diesel makes sense is if I am keeping it for another 200k! So, what to do...

Thanks for the input, D'Animal.

Dan

Assuming your engine is crap: If your 60 isn't rusty and you can afford it, I'd go with the HZ. The diesel guys love this engine-just ask TL cruiserman of West Coast cruisers. Your MPG and range would be much better than either stock or 350, and the value of the rig would go way up too.

1 quart of oil for every 3,000 miles is acceptable oil consumption. Remember your crank case holds over 8 quarts. Just keep an eye on it and be sure the consumption rate is not growing. There are many 2F pilots who would love to only burn 1qt. every 3k miles.

Dynosoar

go with the vortec. you will be happy you did. you'll go from 120hp to 280 hp, better gas mileage lighter weight, cheap parts...etc...etc...i wouldn't go back, but i am not a purist and don't have an endless supply of $

just my .02

Well,

Total mileage is 216,000. Mileage since $9k rebuild of the engine with all factory Toyota parts and Toyota labor, 40k.

With the amount of money that I already have in this truck, what's a little more. The way I figure it, using genuine Toyota parts, if I get into machine work on the engine, it won't take long to break $5k in parts and labor. I figure I can have a Vortec swapped in for about $8 and that would be a cheap upgrade at that point. Now the Toyota Diesel would only be done if I keep the truck for a long time. I love this truck, but with just having moved to Shanghai, I have been on the fence about selling it. And, with how nice this truck is, I will get slammed if I try to sell it without it being as perfect in every dimension as it is except for the engine, right now.

But, yes, I am not going to jerk the engine out for a swap without first hearing from the shop that is taking a look at it to see what it would take to fix it. I was, however, hoping that some people would get me really jazzed up about the 1HZ so it wouldn't hurt as bad if they say a total rebuild is required.

It is kind of a puzzeler, because if I was keeping it to drive then I wouldn't mind the oil burning too much, but if I am selling it I want to have it perfect. And, the only way that swapping in a diesel makes sense is if I am keeping it for another 200k! So, what to do...

Thanks for the input, D'Animal.

Dan

If you have major probs with the engine and being in the far east, I would consider getting one from Japan if you really need it. A friend of mine managed to have one shipped here for his 40.

I would doubt that you would ever be able to get anything out of a Vortec swap other than having a Vortec. It is not as if it adds a lot of value to the truck. The diesel option sounds very intriguing and if I had the dough and it was doable (and something that major had to be done) I think I would be working on the diesel swap.

As an aside, what is fuel costing over there now?

So let me get this straight - you have 40K miles on a engine rebuilt with all Toyota parts that cost 9K.
Engine runs great but uses 1 qt. per 3000 miles. So to go the next 100,000 miles assuming no increase in oil use your talking about $100 of oil, and you're ready to spend over 5K to do something else. Either your looking for an excuse to do something else or you have more money than you know what to do with. I'm not thinking you really have a problem here.
Good luck!

So let me get this straight - you have 40K miles on a engine rebuilt with all Toyota parts that cost 9K.
Engine runs great but uses 1 qt. per 3000 miles. So to go the next 100,000 miles assuming no increase in oil use your talking about $100 of oil, and you're ready to spend over 5K to do something else. Either your looking for an excuse to do something else or you have more money than you know what to do with. I'm not thinking you really have a problem here.
Good luck!

x2;)

That kind of oil consumption is still acceptable . I need to add a pint of oil every 1000 miles - the engine runs strong and I am happy . But then you mention that you are picky ......

If your 60 isn't rusty ....

DSC02028.JPG

This truck is a dream!! Absolutely no rust. Original paint... Minimal rock chips and stuff, but overall it is a 9.5/10. The rest of the truck is equally clean. One reason that I am wrestleing with it is that I have a small fortune in this truck and will only see a good price if I sell it if it is in great shape in all dimensions!!!

Thanks for the input!

Dan

As already mentioned 1 qt for 3000 miles is not that bad. Some manufacturers actually tell you right in the owners manual to expect this level of consumption. I may have even seen it in a Toyota manual (not worth going looking right now).

If that's your only problem with the rig... Forget it and move on.

You're looking at 6-8K for a OEM rebuild of a stock 2F??? That's pretty high. Thats' REAL high.

Mark...

As already mentioned 1 qt for 3000 miles is not that bad. Some manufacturers actually tell you right in the owners manual to expect this level of consumption. I may have even seen it in a Toyota manual (not worth going looking right now).

If that's your only problem with the rig... Forget it and move on.

You're looking at 6-8K for a OEM rebuild of a stock 2F??? That's pretty high. Thats' REAL high.

Mark...

Mark,

As you may have figured out, I am a little hard headed. I am not happy with the oil consumption and I am not going to just live with it. I am going to fix it one way or another. I know that some may consider this acceptable, but I do not.

So back to the question that I asked:

If in fact the 2F needs major work, in which case I will not spend more to fix the upderpowered, gas-guzzeling, original equipment powerplant, what should I do? Replace it with a 350 or a diesel?

Thanks for all the input.
Dan

dshock
You really have a beauty there .
IMO : in order of preference .
1. keep as is
2. Have the engine checked out to ensure it needs rebuild to fix "problem"
3. Diesel - You are used to the low down torque of the 2F and diesel will respond the same .

Dan, I had my engine rebuilt and it was running great till the day I pulled it out and decided to go with a V-8.
No, I dont have lots of money... but I will some day!!!
I just tried going OEM first and it did not cut it for me specially when you spend that kind of cash for your truck to barely go 40mph on a pass.
My excuse for the swap?
I need (maybe not) / want (yes I do) more power.... and better fuel millage.
I have heard of others say how strong the 2F engine is specially when you take at all the smog equipment.
Living here in Kalifas I dont have that choice.
I also looked at going with a tundra engine tranny but it proved (to me) waaaay too hard to outsource that equipment.

Diesel also was another option but as I said earlier.. I dont have lots of cash on me.
So, after asking around and knew it was something I wanted to do myself I found the cash, time and space to do it....and lots of help and guidance from lots of people here at MUD.

I wasn't happy with 2F so I got rid of it.... hopefully I'll be happier with my v8 conversion
As far as putting $$ into my rig....I dont even look at it that way. I do it cause is fun to have and drive this rigs.....but Im sure ya'll knew that eh !!
Im planning on keeping my "Betzy" until I can no longer drive...

Good luck to yah !!!
and nice rig yah got there....

Mark,

As you may have figured out, I am a little hard headed. I am not happy with the oil consumption and I am not going to just live with it. I am going to fix it one way or another. I know that some may consider this acceptable, but I do not.

So back to the question that I asked:

If in fact the 2F needs major work, in which case I will not spend more to fix the upderpowered, gas-guzzeling, original equipment powerplant, what should I do? Replace it with a 350 or a diesel?

Thanks for all the input.
Dan
If you are gonna swap the motor.. Then do the Chevy route.

But, you can easily get the same oil consumption issues.

You are chasing an imaginary tail..

BTW, have you used synthetic oil since the rebuild?

You need a few facts before you go any direction. Do a leakdown test & determine where you're losing the oil. If you're lucky it'll be valve stem seals that won't cost much at all, even if you have them professionally replaced.

Could even be sticky rings for which there are oil additives to free them up.

It's OK to be anal, just don't be stupid.

My '83 60 is bone stock & my '84 has a 5.7 Vortec & a 4L60E. I like 'em both, but I prefer the Vortec when I have to drive on the freeway. If I were doing the conversion today I'd go for a GenIII motor. If I were going to do it in a couple of years, the 4.6L Duramax should be available by then.

*cough* Vortec *cough cough*

I agree on getting a more information on the status of the engine before pulling it out. What is the compression numbers and leak down test data? What type of oil are you using? Have you checked your PVC system to see if there is a reason why you are burning so much oil? Doesn't sound like you got a really good rebuild. What did they claim to do on the rebuild?

That is not a big deal burning that much oil. I bought a brand new chevy LS1 350 in another car and went back after my first oil change to ask them why it was burning so much oil. The dealer said that it was normal. The oil burning might have been reduced a little but still burned atleast 1 qt every 3K when I sold it with 80K. All engines burn oil just some more than others. If you want to go the diesel route, I would go with a Cummins and not 1HZ.

I say drive the sh$t out of it until the engine dies and forget about it.

Glad to hear you made it back from Baja safely. :cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom