engine tranny pulling tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i almost have everything disconnected from the tranny and engine are there any special tricks in taking it out, that will make my life easier?

Its heavy and unweildy.  Use a floor jack and someone to help steady as you remove the bolts:  it is not a 1 person job.  If you can access an engine hoist, use that, via the door.  It really helped me.

If you have a roll cage with a bar that runs longitudinally over the transmission then you can do it easy. I rigged up 3 sets of pully blocks and nylon rope. Two pulleys on the top and two pulleys on the bottom of each set. I used pulleys from a yacht shop and 6mm rope.

Put one lot around the front of the box, one around the back of the box and the last set around the transfer case. I pulled the transmission out, lowered it to the ground, lifted it back up and put it back in to take some pics without the flywheel in there, and then took it out again. &nbsp:Did this by myself in about 1 hour after all the 'stuff' was disconnected.

Email me and ill send some pics: tooker@webone.com.au

if yer pulling the motor/tranny/transfer as one unit, no big deal either. Floor jack under the t-case to raise while you move things forward, then lower for the shift towers to clear and take the whole thing out while angled. Remove the front headlight surround completely, and it's a breeze.

Yah, if you're pulling the whole shebang, don't take the tranny/transfer off until the engine's off. Good to have one person guide as the other works the hoist up and down...

I agree. &nbsp:Doing it yourself is a no-brainer. Hook it up to the engine hoise, remove the front bib and the bumpber (if possible), and out she comes as one unit.

I prefer moving the truck back away from the hoist. Sounds crazy but a 40 without the top and the drivetrain is easier to move than a hoist with 1200+pounds of engine, trans and case swinging from it.

Not to mention that the wheels of the hoist like to grab your toes while you're tugging on it.

YMMV
Rob Blumel
82 Fj60

What about pulling jsut the engine...i have the engine supported by a hoist, the 4 engine to tranny bolts off, front bib/bumber/everythin off, and everything discounted except engine mounts....do i need to support the tranny??? damn the tranny bolts were hard to get to!

Damn, you guys are just tougher than I am!

I agree that the hoist with engine/tranny/transfer is a pain to move around.  Maybe next time I'll try just rolling the truck out from beneath the engine.

As far as I recall, only the engine mount, drivelines and (if you have them) vacuum hoses and linkage hold up the tranny and transfer, at least on my rig.  I think I'd support them with something, probably a floor jack. I have column linkage and perhaps the floorshift and transmission hump change these dynamics?

An "equilizer" on the chain from the hoist to the engine helps to keep theings leveled, or adjust levels coming in and out. With the front bib off it's a breeze with one person...

You have two choices, since the tranny hangs suspended off teh back of the engine....either pull them as one unit or drop the tranny/transfer from under first, then pull the motor second.

Ya just can't defy gravity....heh

Well i do have a 60, not sure how it compairs to 40's, but its bolted/sitting on top of the crossmemeber, which is then bolted to the frame so thats what defies gravity :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom