Engine Starting Concern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After owning my 95 FZJ80 for almost a week now I've noticed that my 1FZ-FE seems to take longer than most vehicles I've owned to start when turning it over. The engine doesn't take longer than a couple seconds to start but it does kind of bother me because I have no experience with these engines and I'm not sure if this is normal. The engine is a few hundred miles short of 200,000 so maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'd like to check and adjust the valve clearance but after reading up on the process it appears to be something best handled by a shop with the appropriate specialty tools and experience. I'm going to change the fuel filter today and see if that helps, as soon as I figure out how to depressurize the fuel system and located the filter.

I think it's common for the 1FZ to crank a little before starting. When I first bought my 80 I noticed this too, plus it had an aftermarket Bosch starter. I swapped the starter for a 2.0W last year and it starts a bit quicker, but still slow compared to some. I wouldn't worry about it.

I have also changed my fuel filter, for other reasons, but it won't make a difference in starting. The fuel filter is on the left side of the engine below the intake manifold. Not easy to change but not real hard either.

I'm not sure when the last tune-up was but I'm going to contact the PO and ask him why the F*** he failed to mention the rear main seal leaks oil, it's not leaking that bad but it could become something very expensive. He had to have known because when I purchased the vehicle the bottom of the transmission bell housing was clean, drops of motor oil formed after a few days and after wiping away the drops they continue to form :mad:. I'm sure since the OD just rolled to 200,000 it's due for a tune-up, what's involved for 200,000?

Don't be quick to think it's the rear main seal, I thought I had the same problem and it was the oil pan gasket towards the rear.

Don't be quick to think it's the rear main seal, I thought I had the same problem and it was the oil pan gasket towards the rear.

Well the oil is leaking out of the seap hole for the trans bellhousing and when I removed the rubber inspection cover and stuck my finger in the bellhousing it came out with oil on it:meh:. I wish it was the oil pan gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom