Engine stalls after highway trave (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replace fuel pump.
Last question.. only options available local; Napa FUP B0172E (only $110 almost seems TOO cheap). Autozone Delphi CFE0402 ($130) or Advanced Auto Delphi FE0402 ($260 and only available 45min away) item numbers (CFE vs FE) and price disparity make me question. Or.... OEM for $500. 🤔

Last question.. only options available local; Napa FUP B0172E (only $110 almost seems TOO cheap). Autozone Delphi CFE0402 ($130) or Advanced Auto Delphi FE0402 ($260 and only available 45min away) item numbers (CFE vs FE) and price disparity make me question. Or.... OEM for $500. 🤔
Before replacing fuel pump, you can test if it’s working fine.
OEM fuel pumps are bulletproof and very rarely fails.
Only those fuel pumps fail, who drive their car to the drop of fuel in the tank.
I had 1Uz engine that ran hot and the ECU killed the engine to prevent damage to the engine. I wasn’t able to start the car until the engine cooled down. But my problem was vacuum in radiator line, after I burped the radiator my problem disappeared.
Bench test each part before replacing it. Otherwise you will end up spending money on replacing parts that are functioning fine.

Before replacing fuel pump, you can test if it’s working fine.
OEM fuel pumps are bulletproof and very rarely fails.
Only those fuel pumps fail, who drive their car to the drop of fuel in the tank.
I had 1Uz engine that ran hot and the ECU killed the engine to prevent damage to the engine. I wasn’t able to start the car until the engine cooled down. But my problem was vacuum in radiator line, after I burped the radiator my problem disappeared.
Bench test each part before replacing it. Otherwise you will end up spending money on replacing parts that are functioning fine.
I appreciate the suggestion and you're exactly right... I was close to replace everything I could out of desperation. However, my engine never even came close to overheating.

If you haven’t changed the fuel filter in a while I would suggest that.Catch the fuel from the old filter in a clear container and inspect for water/contamination.Add Seafoam for good measure….

I'm having the same issue w/ my '06 LX w/ 230k mainly flawless miles. Caused a major headache with being towed and renting car to drive two hours home...then return to find out shop could not replicate. I had some codes though; 0171, 0174 (system too lean) and P0300s (misfires). On drive home, hopped off interstate to fuel up, knowing I was about be screwed, and sure enough, died as I pulled into gas station. Outside temp 100, let it rest for about 30min, started right up, made it back on highway and finally home. Did you or anyone else find a solid solution to this?! About to lose my MIND! Used to be my wknd play vehicle b/c had work car...no longer have work car so now it's my daily (it's paid for and I don't want a car payment right now lol)
Fuel pump gets hot when the fuel level is low. Adding gas submerges it and cools it off.

At 18 years, 230k miles and heat, sure I'd throw a fuel pump and filter on the LC.

It’s been a few years now and a handful of 100°F outside air temps instances that I drove my 06. After 3 yrs, 80mph interstate drives or slow crawl in the trails and the fuel pump I used hasn’t skipped a beat.
I have an 06 VVTi 2UZFE as well. And replacing the fuel pump with part number Denso 950-0210 fixed that.

Denso 950-0210 Fuel Pump Mounting Kit Amazon.com: Denso 950-0210 Fuel Pump Mounting Kit : Automotive - https://a.co/d/1mVe8Ts

I certainly wouldn’t say the fuel pumps are bulletproof. All our Toyotas experienced fuel pump trouble around 200k. When my 1UZ Lexus reached 220k I replaced the pump preventatively and noticed a definitely smoothing-out of the power delivery across the rev range.

At 200k or later you may as well do things like fuel pumps, vacuum lines, alternators, VVTi solenoids, even if they’re still working, cuz you’ve certainly gotten your money’s worth and it could very likely save you from being stranded.

It’s been a few years now and a handful of 100°F outside air temps instances that I drove my 06. After 3 yrs, 80mph interstate drives or slow crawl in the trails and the fuel pump I used hasn’t skipped a beat.
Sweeet, thank you. I've got the Denso on order.

I am having a similar issue where when it's hot and I have been driving 2+ hours the truck will not restart after being turned off.

I'm at 180k miles.

It sputters briefly and then dies. It will crank but not start. Wait 2-5 minutes and it starts right up with no issues.

This happens very rarely but it's happened 2x the last week in Florida in July.

I'm at the dealership right now waiting to see what they say but I'm thinking fuel pump as well.

Is that the consensus here?

I am having a similar issue where when it's hot and I have been driving 2+ hours the truck will not restart after being turned off.

I'm at 180k miles.

It sputters briefly and then dies. It will crank but not start. Wait 2-5 minutes and it starts right up with no issues.

I'm at the dealership right now waiting to see what they say but I'm thinking fuel pump as well.

Try cleaning the MAF and cleaning the throttle body.

I'm at 180k miles.

Sounds identical to my issue. I usually have to wait for 15-30min before it'll start up.

I'm at 180k miles.

I assume when it stalls it doesn’t give you an error code when you try to pull DTCs using an OBD reader? If so then it’s 98% of the time indeed the mechanical 2-speed fuel pump of the 06/07 models. If there’s an error, and typically it’s related to a misfire, then it is the coil pack that is the culprit.

I assume when it stalls it doesn’t give you an error code when you try to pull DTCs using an OBD reader? If so then it’s 98% of the time indeed the mechanical 2-speed fuel pump of the 06/07 models. If there’s an error, and typically it’s related to a misfire, then it is the coil pack that is the culprit.
Correct, no code on OBD or tech-stream.

Here’s another plausible explanation…

CF6620CD-EBCA-45C8-968D-D594ECF33CFD.jpeg

B2A798BF-7FB9-4AB7-9D14-14F433F84AA9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom