Engine shuts off at low speed turns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping our 94 cruiser has some life left! Roughly 212000 miles and has never let us down over the years. Recently the engine seems to stall out on colder days when turning at low speeds, usually happens when making a U-turn or parking on a hill.
Any ideas on what may be the leading culprit?

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago.... sounds like your power steering pump may be draining too much power. Hows your PS fluid?

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago.... sounds like your power steering pump may be draining too much power. Hows your PS fluid?

That's what I figured too. There is PS fluid which we recently checked during an oil change. I noticed the steering slowly gets tougher even after we had topped it off but did not think twice about it draining enough power to completely cut off the engine. The dashboard also lights up like a Christmas tree once it dies but will normally start back up. I'm guessing a leak in one of the lines?

Is the girl idling ok? any surging on acceleration?
My thoughts were initially power steering pump or fluid

Does the engine bog down and stall, or just cut out?

If just cut out it may be electrical. What is the condition of the main engine harness going by the EGR pipe? A shifting motor could cause harness to short out. Same thing applies to where same harness passes through firewall as that is a known wear point with potential shorting. At only 50K my LX had to get towed back to the dealer for intermittently stalling and eventually dying completely for this reason.

Is the girl idling ok? any surging on acceleration?
My thoughts were initially power steering pump or fluid

She idles normal after warming up. I only have witnessed it about 3 times while driving. No surging on accelerating but will sometimes drop rpms slightly when pulling up to a complete stop.

Does the engine bog down and stall, or just cut out?

If just cut out it may be electrical. What is the condition of the main engine harness going by the EGR pipe? A shifting motor could cause harness to short out. Same thing applies to where same harness passes through firewall as that is a known wear point with potential shorting. At only 50K my LX had to get towed back to the dealer for intermittently stalling and eventually dying completely for this reason.

The engine seems to bog down before cutting off. I will be inspecting around the harness to the firewall checking for any corrosion.

Thx for the help guys! I will keep everyone posted once I bring her to the shop because I can't visually pinpoint where some oil is dripping from. Which may be soaking some electrical lines causing it to stall... the good thing is shes no longer being used as a daily driver and gets to sit pretty all day until we get these minor issues addressed !

Last edited:
She idles normal after warming up. I only have witnessed it about 3 times while driving. No surging on accelerating but will sometimes drop rpms slightly when pulling up to a complete stop.

The engine seems to bog down before cutting off. I will be inspecting around the harness to the firewall checking for any corrosion.

Thx for the help guys! I will keep everyone posted once I bring her to the shop because I can't visually pinpoint where some oil is dripping from. Which may be soaking some electrical lines causing it to stall... the good thing is shes no longer being used as a daily driver and gets to sit pretty all day until we get these minor issues addressed !
Oxygen sensor possibly , I had another vehicle that use to do that when I came to a halt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom