Engine Seized - LC 200 - 2016 - Maine- what to do..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

to the experts, would a Snorkel have kept this from happening?

By the time water is above the intake, snorkel can’t save the million other things that are submerged in very likely highly ionized water.
Alternator is also way lower than that.

Snorkels on gas engines are all about looks, not function. Theoretically they help mitigate dust but how many of us in the Americas really drive hundreds of miles in a convoy sucking dust?

Snorkels theoretically would help an older diesel engine continue to run when submerged but that argument goes out the window for modern diesel and all their electronics.

Not exactly.. while snorkels are primarily mean to get the intake air up and out of the dust, in the 200 it moves the intake away from the wheel well also, which is really important in this case... A snorkel properly sealed, as well as a sealed airbox with no holes in it can totally make the difference in water crossings for this reason.

Would it have helped here?, maybe/maybe not.. we really don't know much other than "Mudding" which usually means deeper than your buddy went... so who knows...

Saying they are just for looks and older diesels is an opinion only.

Last edited:
With the caveat that I haven’t seen the mud hole or how deep it went, I’m with Teckis on this; the bumper probably made things worse.

A dorkel almost certainly would have helped the engine in this case, but it likely would allow a teenager to push even more and get into other trouble. While you still shouldn’t go crossing lakes with one, as indycole (I think) learned even incidental splashes can kill an engine. The snorkel will help a whole lot for those.

Our trucks were designed for mud and water off-road. Even the brushes in the alternator live in a sort of diving bell with an open bottom intended to keep them mostly dry and out of mud. Every connector I can think of under the hood is waterproofed. The starter has breathers intended to keep water out if submerged. None of this stuff is fool proof, but it helps for incidental submersion, with the intake path being the single glaring exception to this strategy.

Not exactly.. while snorkels are primarily mean to get the intake air up and out of the dust, in the 200 it moves the intake away from the wheel well also, which is really important in this case... A snorkel properly sealed, as wells a a sealed airbag with no holes in it can totally make the difference in water crossings for this reason.

Would it have helped here, maybe/maybe not.. we really don't know much other than "Mudding" which usually means deeper than your buddy went... so who knows...

Saying they are just for looks and older diesels is an opinion only.
A very well informed opinion. But your mileage may vary.

With the caveat that I haven’t seen the mud hole or how deep it went, I’m with Teckis on this; the bumper probably made things worse.

A dorkel almost certainly would have helped the engine in this case, but it likely would allow a teenager to push even more and get into other trouble. While you still shouldn’t go crossing lakes with one, as indycole (I think) learned even incidental splashes can kill an engine. The snorkel will help a whole lot for those.

Our trucks were designed for mud and water off-road. Even the brushes in the alternator live in a sort of diving bell with an open bottom intended to keep them mostly dry and out of mud. Every connector I can think of under the hood is waterproofed. The starter has breathers intended to keep water out if submerged. None of this stuff is fool proof, but it helps for incidental submersion, with the intake path being the single glaring exception to this strategy.
I would bet that the primary motivation for most snorkel installs is looks. That doesn’t mean there isn’t functional purpose.

The 200’s air intake is like a shop vac in the inner fender. The vented plastic wheel well liner is designed to reduce dust and water splash from getting into the air box and generally works. Hitting a water hole at speed and/or excessive throttle can result in water getting in the air box. I’ve seen this on a couple 200s and have seen threads here on this. A snorkel helps mitigate this situation. Aftermarket front bumpers that modify the wheel well plastic can make this worse. There was one 200 at LCDC this summer that had a hydro lock situation at a minor water crossing due to excessive speed and the wheel well liner had not been reinstalled after bumper installation. Fortunately this didn’t result in any major engine damage.

A snorkel doesn’t really increase the maximum water crossing depth but it can help save major engine damage if something unexpected happens.

Last edited:
A snorkel doesn’t really increase the maximum water crossing depth but it can help save major engine damage if something unexpected happens.
Well put.

Indycole hydro locked and killed a 3UR at cruise Moab a few years back

A snorkel wont increase fording depth and and certainly wont protect the elextrix but pretty cheap insurance against ingesting water into the cylinders and relieving your engine of its oil.

I do agree that the primary reason most people add a snorkel in the US is looks... and that they do not properly seal them (or the air box)..
but in a 200 the utility is fairly obvious when you look at the air intake location....

Side note.. my D90 (gas V8) this year has done about 3k miles on dirt, and could really benefit from a snorkel (its air intake is on the fire wall above the motor so I have resisted so far since it is literally the highest point on the motor).. and just bc of dust I'm probably going to do one... The 200 will be doing the same type trips only longer, since it is being built for that purpose.

The D90 has done water up to 30" for longer stretches on the coast.... hate to say it but that is way too much for a LC200..

Anyway..
YMMV is correct..

I would dorkel for the look too if anyone can link me one that is silent.
The monster 4x4 one i like the best supposedly doesnt fit 2016+ fender bow shape well to work.

This be my life though in the 2017.

I would dorkel for the look too if anyone can link me one that is silent.
The monster 4x4 one i like the best supposedly doesnt fit 2016+ fender bow shape well to work.

This be my life though in the 2017.
The Fabulous Fabrications snorkel I have (2013 LC) doesn’t have any wind noise that I notice. Even at 90 mph. It’s also invisible from in the vehicle. What I do hear is engine intake noise when I hit the skinny pedal but only with the passenger window down. Kinda sounds like exacts rumble. Doesn’t bother me. Kind like it… I’m definitely a dork.

Bought my 200 with a Safari snorkel on it. It's quiet, don't notice it at all, either intake noise or wind noise.

The Fabulous Fabrications snorkel I have (2013 LC) doesn’t have any wind noise that I notice. Even at 90 mph. It’s also invisible from in the vehicle. What I do hear is engine intake noise when I hit the skinny pedal but only with the passenger window down. Kinda sounds like exacts rumble. Doesn’t bother me. Kind like it… I’m definitely a dork.

Yeah I thought about the 5” pipe style, many people make that. Dont want to impede a future SC. But thats an area of debate too.

Bought my 200 with a Safari snorkel on it. It's quiet, don't notice it at all, either intake noise or wind noise.

Interesting. Im very sensitive though to QOL stuff.

If you want a Toyota mechanic I hear lots of folks recommend

Located in Portland.

Good luck

Can't see the snorkel impacting that. I thought I'd hear some intake honk with it, especially with the windows rolled down but no. No real wind noise at highway speeds either.

Not knocking you my man, i just cant imagine that. I am very sensitive, and my in ride measure we did with @Madtiger was already super low and i want it more quiet.

Well, your imagination isn't matching my reality. So,,,, :meh:

Well, your imagination isn't matching my reality. So,,,, :meh:

Yeah no offense at al just a funny scene I love.
I would love to take a ride in one though.
Currently, my sunroof seal was poorly fitted from factory, and its whistling.\
Im the only one that can hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom