engine rebuild - parts recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
85 FJ 60 - 200K miles - blowing smoke badly and despite my wife's urging i don't want to part with my cruiser.

I'm going to need to have the bottom end of the engine rebuilt and would like recommendations on supplier/parts for this. I may need oversized pistons if the cylinder walls are in poor shape but it there anything else that i should consider doing given that i'm going to this trouble? I've got the stock carb (and i think i'd like to keep it) and the heads recently been rebuilt.

What's your favorite supplier for this stuff? SOR, Manafre, ???

Thanks in advance.

try pac-lift in san diego. I don't have a #, but try a search on this board for "pac-lift" as the # has been posted before.

Thanks...i saw one reference to this in an earlier post. It was a little unclear what exactly they provided.

[quote author=pvaman link=board=1;threadid=3678;start=0#msg27163 date=1058374123]
Thanks...i saw one reference to this in an earlier post. It was a little unclear what exactly they provided.
[/quote]

Whatever you want!! Call PacLift, talk to Al. He'll ask what you need, and you tell him!! Al will hook you up!!

I talked to Al -- really nice guy -- and the prices seem pretty good.

What's the quality of these parts - compared to other aftermarket parts and toyota parts. Anyone had any problems with 'em. Seems like the warrenty was really short ... i want to say 30 days.

CCOT has a pretty complete kit w/some of the parts being toyota parts but the price is over 2X :(.

Still undecided as to whether to rebuild or buy a used/remanufactured long block.

On the TLCA mailing list last week a emailer indicated the the parts were Toyota. Ask him who manufacturers the parts. I used a local Landcruiser shop to get the parts for my 75 2F. During my research Pac lift came up numerous times as the place to get your parts. The basic parts- Pistons, rings, bearings, toyota gasket set etc. will run you around $1000. Everything else you need.. Machine shop work (deck the block and cylinder bore, crank turning, New water pump, carb rebuild, Plastigage, Header? will run you another $1000.
Also, plan on boring the cylinders. You have the motor a part you might as well bore it out for the extra compression.
Good Luck

[quote author=petescoffee link=board=1;threadid=3678;start=0#msg28336 date=1058884947]
On the TLCA mailing list last week a emailer indicated the the parts were Toyota. Ask him who manufacturers the parts. I used a local Landcruiser shop to get the parts for my 75 2F. During my research Pac lift came up numerous times as the place to get your parts. The basic parts- Pistons, rings, bearings, toyota gasket set etc. will run you around $1000. Everything else you need.. Machine shop work (deck the block and cylinder bore, crank turning, New water pump, carb rebuild, Plastigage, Header? will run you another $1000.
Also, plan on boring the cylinders. You have the motor a part you might as well bore it out for the extra compression.
Good Luck
[/quote]

I paid between $500 and 600 for my parts from PacLift, about $350 for machine work - hot tank, painting of block, honed cylinders, valve grind/job and head mill. Another $130 for a cam shaft! All told, about $1100 plus my labor and few odds and ends.

I talked to Al again and it sounds like Pac-Lift's parts are in fact Genuine Toyota parts -- i.e. they buy them directly from the same distributor/manufacturer as Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom