engine rebuild - parts recommendation

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by pvaman, Jul 15, 2003.

1. pvaman

pvaman

85 FJ 60 - 200K miles - blowing smoke badly and despite my wife's urging i don't want to part with my cruiser.

I'm going to need to have the bottom end of the engine rebuilt and would like recommendations on supplier/parts for this. I may need oversized pistons if the cylinder walls are in poor shape but it there anything else that i should consider doing given that i'm going to this trouble? I've got the stock carb (and i think i'd like to keep it) and the heads recently been rebuilt.

What's your favorite supplier for this stuff? SOR, Manafre, ???

Thanks in advance.

2. bsilva132

bsilva132

Media:
    Albums:
    try pac-lift in san diego. I don't have a #, but try a search on this board for "pac-lift" as the # has been posted before.

3. pvaman

pvaman

Thanks...i saw one reference to this in an earlier post. It was a little unclear what exactly they provided.

4. MD11Fr8Dog

MD11Fr8Dog CM09 Eight Ball winner

[quote author=pvaman link=board=1;threadid=3678;start=0#msg27163 date=1058374123]
    Thanks...i saw one reference to this in an earlier post. It was a little unclear what exactly they provided.
    [/quote]

Whatever you want!! Call PacLift, talk to Al. He'll ask what you need, and you tell him!! Al will hook you up!!

5. pvaman

pvaman

I talked to Al -- really nice guy -- and the prices seem pretty good.

What's the quality of these parts - compared to other aftermarket parts and toyota parts. Anyone had any problems with 'em. Seems like the warrenty was really short ... i want to say 30 days.

CCOT has a pretty complete kit w/some of the parts being toyota parts but the price is over 2X :(.

Still undecided as to whether to rebuild or buy a used/remanufactured long block.

6. petescoffee

petescoffee

On the TLCA mailing list last week a emailer indicated the the parts were Toyota. Ask him who manufacturers the parts. I used a local Landcruiser shop to get the parts for my 75 2F. During my research Pac lift came up numerous times as the place to get your parts. The basic parts- Pistons, rings, bearings, toyota gasket set etc. will run you around $1000. Everything else you need.. Machine shop work (deck the block and cylinder bore, crank turning, New water pump, carb rebuild, Plastigage, Header? will run you another $1000.
    Also, plan on boring the cylinders. You have the motor a part you might as well bore it out for the extra compression.
    Good Luck

7. MD11Fr8Dog

MD11Fr8Dog CM09 Eight Ball winner

[quote author=petescoffee link=board=1;threadid=3678;start=0#msg28336 date=1058884947]
    On the TLCA mailing list last week a emailer indicated the the parts were Toyota. Ask him who manufacturers the parts. I used a local Landcruiser shop to get the parts for my 75 2F. During my research Pac lift came up numerous times as the place to get your parts. The basic parts- Pistons, rings, bearings, toyota gasket set etc. will run you around $1000. Everything else you need.. Machine shop work (deck the block and cylinder bore, crank turning, New water pump, carb rebuild, Plastigage, Header? will run you another $1000.
    Also, plan on boring the cylinders. You have the motor a part you might as well bore it out for the extra compression.
    Good Luck
    [/quote]

I paid between $500 and 600 for my parts from PacLift, about $350 for machine work - hot tank, painting of block, honed cylinders, valve grind/job and head mill. Another $130 for a cam shaft! All told, about $1100 plus my labor and few odds and ends.

8. hammerhead

hammerhead

That's more than I spent putting in a 350!
    Go Chev.

9. pvaman

pvaman

I talked to Al again and it sounds like Pac-Lift's parts are in fact Genuine Toyota parts -- i.e. they buy them directly from the same distributor/manufacturer as Toyota.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.