Engine Overheating Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is a comparison of my 3FE original stock '88 FJ62 Fan Clutch (red hub) to the 3FE FJ80 Aisin FCT-049 (green hub). I believe the original red hub piece is similar to a Aisin FCT-017, but, mine is the original stock Toyota fan clutch that was shipped with my truck. The FCT-049 is much more substantial and operates more smoothly -- not so abrupt on the on and off. A few years back the original red hub would roar at startup and when it switched on in the heat. The green hub engages more smoothly and locks up pretty good by the time the gauge goes to half way on the gauge with the air conditioning on in traffic. It does not really roar on startup like my original red hub did. In 100 deg. weather with the green hub and the stock thermostat, the gauge hangs around between the first and second hash mark (half way). If it creeps all the way up to half on the gauge, more air starts moving and you can watch the gauge come down below half again.

Here you can see the green hub FCT-049 has the same spacing as the stock FJ62 red hub Fan Clutch.

If I do end up replacing the fan clutch I’ll go with the 049. Thx!

If you suspect a cracked head you can pull the valve cover off and look to see if there is coolant pooling on top of the head. Mine had micro cracks in the head but the coolant temps ran low because the upper gasket on the t-stat was out of position.

Reactions: M P
Thanks. It’s a new sending unit, but maybe it’s bad. Will definitely check it out. Appreciate it
Did you ever figure this out?

Hi, Go get some Prestone radiator and cooling system flush. Do the heavy duty flush ,it will take awhile. After doing this install a Gano filter in the top radiator hose to trap future junk. Drive a week then check Gano filter and remove more junk. Hopefully this solves your problem. As these engines get older they shed junk built up in them and the heaters.Mike

Hi, Go get some Prestone radiator and cooling system flush. Do the heavy duty flush ,it will take awhile. After doing this install a Gano filter in the top radiator hose to trap future junk. Drive a week then check Gano filter and remove more junk. Hopefully this solves your problem. As these engines get older they shed junk built up in them and the heaters.Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom