Engine mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just looking through the long list of bills the previous owner had for my BJ and I came across one for some tranny mounts. The motor mounts have obviously never been done, anyone know how hard it is to do yourself or how much toyota would charge to do it? The only reason I think it may need them is because it is a little shaky at shut off (I think they prolly all are) and it also seems to vibrate at low rpms, when I get it above 2000rpm she is feels like a new truck and below she feels like a hay wagon.

I have replaced the U joints as I thought they could be part of it, but no change, it does the same thing in 2wd and 4wd (hi and low).

So now I am thinking motor mounts

Any suggestions?

If you have a cherry picker, it is easy. Just loosen the tranny mounts, loosen the engine mounts, lift the engine a bit, then swap the parts, and bolt it back up. If you don't have a cherry picker, a comealong on a beam would probably work also.
Cheers,
Deny

nope on the cherry picker I have a friend with a shop that has two over head cranes that used to be used for hosting up cement caskets. That should work well.

Any ideas on how much it is gonna save me doing it myself?

No clue, but it will save you some money for sure, just phone up a shop and ask. Personally, I would not trust any mechanic unless you know he is good.
Cheers and good luck,
Deny

Ya I will just order the parts from toyota and get my good friend George to help me do it.
Do you have any idea on what I should buy as far as parts go?
and part #'s
Thanks for the help man

cheers
Eric

I bought my engine mounts from Toyota, and I think they cost around $80 each, I don't know the part #s (they will know what you are talking about), and I don't know if they make aftermarket ones, maybe check the 4wheel auto website. Other stuff you will need, is simply tools. I don't remember any tricks to it, just a couple wrenches and ratchet, It might be a bit tight on the drivers side, so you might need to pull some parts away( I think I took out my battery tray to get at mine, but I can't remember) 70 series is a bit different than a 42 though.
Good luck.
Deny

My mechanic make the job for my on my ex-BJ60 for 40 $. (is hour $ rate is cheap). It's less than 1 hour job.

If you get the part #'s for the OEM Toyota motor mounts, post them and I will let you know if they are the same as any of the aftermarket Japanese mounts that I carry for the US specs stuff (I am pretty sure the trans mounts were identical?)

Raddscruiser sell 3B mount... but I don't know if it the same for the 70 ??? ... anyway it fit on my ex-BJ60... but that not help you.

Anyone know the answer ??

The numbers I have listed are 12371-58010 x(1)
12361-59035 x(2)

Not a hard job . You may want to order new nuts mine didn't come with them and 2 were stripped when i went to reinstall.

Cheers
Challis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom