Engine Keeps Running with Ignition Off and key out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 93 FJ80. I had purchased a new battery tray, hold down hardware and fuseable link. I pulled everything out cleaned up the terminals and replaced the fuseable link. I put everything back together and hooked up the terminals. No sounds were made for a few seconds and then fuse box under the hood started to hum like the key was in and on the on position. However the key was not in. I went to the cab and notice that all the dash lights were on like the key was in the on position. I started the FJ up just like normal, but the dash lights stayed on. I turned off the ignition, but the engine kept running. I could not get it to turn off even with removing the negative terminal. The only way I could get the engine to turn off was by engaging the starter. That would kill the engine, but the dash lights stayed on and I had to unhook the battery.

I search the FJ80 forum and got a couple of threads that attributed like symptoms to the connectors in the starter. I unhooked the starter and reconnected the terminals and same symptoms as before. I thought it would be a relay so I pulled the EFI relay and the power relay in the cab, but still same symptoms. I can only surmise that there is a bad relay tied to the ignition switch or the ignition switch itself for some reason decided to go caput. Any guidance would be appreciated.

If this problem manifested after you did maintenance, a followup to retrace your steps is needed.

Last edited:
@richardlillard1 recently saw something like this, I think it might have been traced to the alarm, but not sure.

If this problem manifested after you did maintenance, a followup to retrace you steps are needed.

I would agree with this.
@richardlillard1 recently saw something like this, I think it might have been traced to the alarm, but not sure.

On the 80 we had in the shop with this issue, we discovered it to be a byproduct of a viper alarm with remote start. They had tapped into the +B wire going into the ECM and run it across to one of the main ignition wires and that wire developed a short. Removing the wire solved the issue.

Thank you for the advice. I retraced my steps and have had no luck of alleviating my troubles. I did recently had a new stereo put in and will speak to the shop to see if they tied into the electrical other than with the stock connector. Will be looking at the electrical diagrams to see where I might be able to trace things down.

I have checked everything except the ignition switch. I believe that is where my gremlins are located. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

Well I finally was able to track down the gremlins. It was ultimately a short in the ignition wiring. I replaced the switch. Still the same issue. Then I unhooked the ignition switch from the main harness at the bridge. By energizing, I did not have everything engage as before. Thus it had to be somewhere in between and I had just replaced the switch. I looked at this bridge harness and low and behold some prior owner or mechanic had stripped three main power wires and twisted them together and wrapped them with electrical tape. I unwound them, separated them (they were not cut) and insulated them. Then I energized and no engagement and it started up like normal!

I looked at this bridge harness and low and behold some prior owner or mechanic had stripped three main power wires and twisted them together and wrapped them with electrical tape. I unwound them, separated them (they were not cut) and insulated them. Then I energized and no engagement and it started up like normal!

sounds like there may have been a remote start or alarm installed at some point or still in the truck. id poke around some more to try to find it if its still there and take it out to prevent any future problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom