Engine flush products? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been wanting to do an engine flush, for my 80 for quite some time, yet I have heard and read many reviews, basically that it might ruin the seals or any rubber and plastic components on older engines?

Your recommendations and feedback is highly appreciated.
Do you recommend using additives for an engine flush?

This is a radioactive question and anyone who chimes in should be banned for at least a year 15 minutes.

There are horror stories of people who've used this or that "flush" product only to have their engine start to knock, smoke, or leak soon after. So my official answer is don't add anything to your oil, just change it more frequently using a quality oil and always use a top tier oil filter (Toyota, Mobil 1, ----).

You can never go wrong using a Toyota filter and might be the best way to go if you have limited choices in Lebanon. You probably know better than most of us that in some parts of the world it's often difficult to find genuine parts and you don't want to end up with a Made in Chy nah counterfeit filter so check the box and product carefully. Also, many of us in the 80 forum have learned to never use WIX or any white box no-name filter installed at a Lube shop, they are the most likely to fail.

If you want to be more scientific you can collect a sample of used engine oil with at least 3000-5000 miles on it and send it to a laboratory that performs Engine Oil Analysis (EOA). There's one company, Totalenergies, in Lebanon that does lubrication oil analysis but I don't have any experience using their services. There are also testing labs in UAE if you do a search.

Having said all that, and speaking for myself, I've used a few different flush products over the years with no damage but I stick with the big name brands like Liqui Moly Pro Line Engine Flush and I follow the directions on the can. If you decide to do this, proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
This is a radioactive question and anyone who chimes in should be banned for at least a year 15 minutes.

There are horror stories of people who've used this or that "flush" product only to have their engine start to knock, smoke, or leak soon after. So my official answer is don't add anything to your oil, just change it more frequently using a quality oil and always use a top tier oil filter (Toyota, Mobil 1, ----).

You can never go wrong using a Toyota filter and might be the best way to go if you have limited choices in Lebanon. You probably know better than most of us that in some parts of the world it's often difficult to find genuine parts and you don't want to end up with a Made in Chy nah counterfeit filter so check the box and product carefully. Also, many of us in the 80 forum have learned to never use WIX or any white box no-name filter installed at a Lube shop, they are the most likely to fail.

If you want to be more scientific you can collect a sample of used engine oil with at least 3000-5000 miles on it and send it to a laboratory that performs Engine Oil Analysis (EOA). There's one company, Totalenergies, in Lebanon that does lubrication oil analysis but I don't have any experience using their services. There are also testing labs in UAE if you do a search.

Having said all that, and speaking for myself, I've used a few different flush products over the years with no damage but I stick with the big name brands like Liqui Moly Pro Line Engine Flush and I follow the directions on the can. If you decide to do this, proceed at your own risk.

Thank you for a very detailed answer :). I have ordered OEM oil filters from UAE since the Toyota dealership don't have them in stock, so that part is covered, however my research led to the same conclusion that on older engines you might end up doing more harm than good with a flush, even if using liquimoly or any other big names brands.
One more question comes to mind though, what's your say about injector cleaners?
And again thank you very much for your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom