engine choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So right now I am running a 2f with a four speed. After 15 years of running like this I am finally thinking about thinking about a new drive train. I am trying to build something that would be best for the overland concept.

The problems that I have are when I run up long hills on the street loaded down with gear it is like I could get out and run faster than the car is going. I have to drop it down to 2nd gear or sometimes even 1st and it just crawls up the road. I like the wheeling part of the rig too, but seems like sometimes it is just underpowered. It is also really stinky.

I have a h55 with a split transfer case sitting in my garage.

or

I am also thinking that a 1hdt turbo would be nice (I have seen one on line that looks good)

How can I go up those hills with more juice while maitaining that killer crawling capability? Are they all stinky as well?

Any thoughts?

1HZ would work nicely in a Pig.

Toyota I6 that can be fit with OE mounts, easier to wire than an F, killer mileage, and parts are readily available in the U.S.

Not saying HD-T wouldn't be better, but would have more parts that aren't available in the US, not only engine, but H15X/HF1A (which I'll gladly sell if you want one....along with a bad ass FZ still on the stand from an uber rebuild, and harness to fit all in any vintage Cruiser) are both expensive to source parts for.

HZ/H55/BF1A is an impressive drivetrain. Not neck breaking....but it just goes and passes all the gas stations none of my others do, averaging 17-19mpgs with 37s and 4.56s.,

oil burning 5 speed...I hear John loud and clear, but I am a sucker for the yoter motors...of course, if you don't suffer from such psychosis, then you should do something more readily available...

then you should do something more readily available...

Believe it or not, there's a steady stream of HZs/HDTs available and the majority of 12V parts are available through any dealer, without the mandate to register the vehicle VIN as a legal import.

Caveat being, the short blocks are all R151F and the Denso pump isn't easy to get. Having had one at a few shops trying to correct a mistake I made, they're not unicorn status either, because they're utilized in the industrial sector on other engines.

Onur or Dan can get anything for them, and @joekatana is like a damn crack dealer, dangling elicit engines out there, irresistible as any addictive drug.

Same shop that finally fixed my screwup said a rebuild would be 16-18 hours on the stand and parts are less than a 2F.

HZ love is why I have an uber built FZ, with H151F/HF1A available (unlisted, but I'd sell), with MT harness, all the mounts necessary to swap in a MWB to LWB Cruiser.

True bush engine, no doubt about it. Keep the filters clean, stay on top of maintenance, and the damn things will run. One wire to starter, ground, alternator, and fuel cut solenoid and it's running.

Hell, really don't need anything to run it. It could be roll started, and stalled to kill.

that's great tech, right there. So there's hope for mine still...you are a rabbit in its hole...its very very deep hole. (compliment)

...you are a rabbit in its hole...

Big ass top hat, and all....

One can either attempt to stand on the slippery slope, resisting the inevitable forces, constantly pulling down.....

....or simply embrace inevitability, look down, dive, and enjoy the fun filled ride.

Tis' what it tis'......ain't no use in fightin' it.

geronimoh!!!
upload_2015-10-25_10-32-0.jpeg

I know I am a nooob but what is the difference between an HZ and a HDT?
Thanks in advance

Short answer:

HZ is indirect injected, naturally aspirated, mechanically pumped I6, that requires no ECU to run.

HD-T is a direct injected, turbo'd, HZ (for all intents and purposes), save upgraded conrods, head, and of course, turbo.

Now, I've driven a ton of NA IDI diesels in my life.......in just about every tractor or other equipment out there, but I'm telling you, the HZ is different. It moves along just fine and can be mildly turbo'd with the HDT manifolds/Toyota turbo, or any number of aftermarket turbos. Plenty to choose from.

Prolly the most important factor if considering just those two is the prevalence of H55Fs, the ease at obtaining the correct input shaft, and the minimal additional length of the H55F/Split case. Since the 7Xs are the primary resource for used drivetrains, and the 7X is an odd product of 40/55 DNA combination (ie, undeniable Pig nose with nearly the same 40/55 frame dimensions and body on frame orientations), HZ seems a perfect fit.

Then the million dollar question. What is the cost including h55 transmission, parts only? My feeble attempt at looking for prices on the internet for a used HZ turned up empty except for past posts here on mudd.

xtiaan2000- Soooo, have you gotten any closer to your engine swap?!

I've been thinking about doing a Toyota diesel swap in my 'ol pig for some time as well. I have done a little research and chatted with a few folks in the area that have more knowledge and experience than me with Toyota diesels. That said, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 1HZ/H55F combo to swap...

I am a fan of diesel motors but some of these options look under powered and I'm afraid you will still be downshifting on long hills. Maybe I'm wrong.

Have the H55 in the garage, but have not pulled the trigger yet. Was onboard with the whole diesel thing, but I think for ease I am going back to the Ls engine. Cant decide if I should go with the 5.3 or the 6. Is it the lq4 or was it the lq9?
Everyone knows how to work on the ls engines (myself not included) and the level of noise and the power. I am bummed when I am on a hill and am stuck right inbetween 2 and 3rd gear.

The LSx has been made so easy now it's hard to say no. I have an old SBC and next month I'm going to put EFI on it. When this engine starts to show it age I will probably go LSx. Ease for me I guess cuz it's already no longer all toyota.

I am a fan of diesel motors but some of these options look under powered and I'm afraid you will still be downshifting on long hills. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know what topography most face, but locally there's a particularly long hill that's become a barometer, of sorts @ 65mph.

The only vehicle I own that doesn't require downshifting on this hill is the '76 Pig that's a 2F anomaly unlike anything I've driven in a Cruiser.

In the 40, it'll take 3rd to top it.

In the pre-turbo HZJ73 with 4.56s and 35s, it'd make it, but struggled in 5th (truth be told, the 4.56s were weird....). Perturbo with 4.11s required 4th. Post turbo and it still doesn't pull like the pig, but doesn't require 4th.

HZJ75 with 1HD turbo pulls it with only minor hesitation, but it's a heavy ass pig and has IP issues, to boot.

My 80 goes nuts and I think it skips back two gears to crawl it...

Hey Chris,

I've got a camp site at the Pig Fest with your name on it, if you can make it. We need to look at that wagon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom