Emigrant Gulch Trail Ride Saturday 6/27/20 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy everyone!!!

So we finally made a pick for this weekends wanderings.....

Emigrant Gulch in Paradise Valley!
The starting point is just south of Chico Hot Springs in Old Chico (45deg 19.2826min, 110deg 42.3173min), moving south to White City, then on to FS 3272, and finishing at St. Julian Mine. This is an out and back and is listed as Class 1-3 in 4x4 Routes of Southcentral Montana (book 3, pg 57). There are a ton of offshoot trails going to old mine prospects and a ton more trails in the vicinity if people want to explore more, or just call it a day with a soak and a burger at Chico!

None of us, that I've spoken to, have done this trail before so this is kind of an exploration to check out what things look like down Paradise Valley. And a good shakedown run for those that haven't been out much yet this year.

I think this will be a shorter route, just under 8 miles one-way with 3600' elevation gain. There is some old mills and mines but a bunch of other side trails to additional prospects. So we will meet at Heeb's in Bozeman at 9 am Saturday morning and head over the hill. It's about an hour to Chico so if folks are coming from different spots we could figure out another catch-up point at Old Chico.

Shouldn't be hard on vehicles, sounds like a few loose steep spots and one water crossing, which will all depend on how the creek is running.
COMMS: Ch 4 CB, 146.460 HAM
So chime in if you're interested!!!

ATTENDING:
@MontanaLax
@thetoyotaman
@elkun1
@90WT
@GUIDE4U
@BluMoose
@CCRider

Last edited:
Howdy everyone!!!

So we finally made a pick for this weekends wanderings.....

Emigrant Gulch in Paradise Valley!
The starting point is just south of Chico Hot Springs in Old Chico (45deg 19.2826min, 110deg 42.3173min), moving south to White City, then on to FS 3272, and finishing at St. Julian Mine. This is an out and back and is listed as Class 1-3 in 4x4 Routes of Southcentral Montana (book 3, pg 57). There are a ton of offshoot trails going to old mine prospects and a ton more trails in the vicinity if people want to explore more, or just call it a day with a soak and a burger at Chico!

None of us, that I've spoken to, have done this trail before so this is kind of an exploration to check out what things look like down Paradise Valley. And a good shakedown run for those that haven't been out much yet this year.

I think this will be a shorter route, just under 8 miles one-way with 3600' elevation gain. There is some old mills and mines but a bunch of other side trails to additional prospects. So we will meet at Heeb's in Bozeman at 9 am Saturday morning and head over the hill. It's about an hour to Chico so if folks are coming from different spots we could figure out another catch-up point at Old Chico.

Shouldn't be hard on vehicles, sounds like a few loose steep spots and one water crossing, which will all depend on how the creek is running.
COMMS: Ch 4 CB, 146.460 HAM
So chime in if you're interested!!!

ATTENDING:
@MontanaLax
@thetoyotaman
Count me in. Will be my first outing with the group, so looking forward to the day!

We are going to try to make it. We live 10 miles west of Chico. What time can we meet at Chico?

As we get a little closer to Saturday we will nail down a spot and time near Chico.

Gonna have to skip this one even though I would love to go. Working on a course that I’m obligated to on Saturday now.

If I can re-establish my CB connection, I'll plan to meet you all @ Heebs. I'm flying with a broken wing so I'll go as far as I can one-handed. Maybe further.

Hey all,
We’ll see most everybody at Heeb’s but if anyone is coming from that direction we will make a stop at Chico at 10:15.
@GUIDE4U if you’re planning to come chime in so we know to look for you, or anyone else wanting to meet at Chico....don’t want to leave anybody behind.

See ya in the morning!!

Hey all,
We’ll see most everybody at Heeb’s but if anyone is coming from that direction we will make a stop at Chico at 10:15.
@GUIDE4U if you’re planning to come chime in so we know to look for you, or anyone else wanting to meet at Chico....don’t want to leave anybody behind.

See ya in the morning!!
We are caught up in the hay making. Will not be able to come. Have fun 👍

Gonna throw in a few pics from our short run interrupted by a huge avalanche runout.
D7E15A4B-40BA-4E92-97D6-AF9808DCD237.jpeg
17EB64F9-BBE9-400C-B9AE-7BA888F86884.jpeg
C5A72AFA-F62E-449A-B358-99F1E7BA12BE.jpeg
528EE711-EB9F-4FDA-83FB-345540960B15.jpeg
0B86848E-8B1A-40DF-AEF3-2545A285B8A1.jpeg

Has anyone been up the gulch since the group went last month? Wondering if the slide that stopped us all has melted out yet?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom