Element Fire Extinguishers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RET2

SILVER Star
Threads
Cal Fire has put out an informational memo 23-002 regarding several Element models, 50 and 100. May be of interest to those that have said models.

So they have not gone through California's testing and approval process.

Do they work as advertised, has anyone here tested them in the real world?

I was looking into them but hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

edit: Hadn't refreshed before posting. @Outsane thanks for posting video.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm really glad I held firm to my skepticism when I first heard about those things. Shame on Element. I'm sure many people who bought them will not be aware of the CA Fire memo saying they are not legal for sale in CA.

Wow, I'm really glad I held firm to my skepticism when I first heard about those things. Shame on Element. I'm sure many people who bought them will not be aware of the CA Fire memo saying they are not legal for sale in CA.
To be fair the PRK says a lot of things are not good for us as they put cancer causing chemicals in our gas so...?

To be fair the PRK says a lot of things are not good for us as they put cancer causing chemicals in our gas so...?
I hear that. I believe the memo from CA Fire means that the Element product is either ineffective or has not been proven effective. I'm surprised that it ever got to market if that's true, and I'm glad I never bought one.

The bottom line is that the Element extinguishers simply lack certification from a US recognized testing laboratory, meaning Underwriters Labs (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM). Most states, including CA, require UL or FM approval to even consider any extinguisher for state approval.

The following is from the Element website FAQ on the topic of certification -

In North America, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) controls the certification of portable fire extinguishers. UL does their testing to a standard that includes a form (physical shape) component as well as a performance component. Because Element's form does not meet UL's definition of what a fire extinguisher looks like (i.e. compressed gas cylinder with a hose and measurement gauge) it is passed over for performance testing.

In fixed extinguishing installations, the effectiveness of Element’s aerosol fire suppression technology has already been recognized & approved by UL for several decades as part of the UL2775 certification protocol. UL is now being campaigned to update its portable fire extinguisher standard in order to recognize Element’s innovative design and allow it an opportunity to be tested and certified.

Until the standards are formally updated Element cannot be used to substitute extinguishers in regulated environments that require a UL (or UL endorsed) certification. In these settings Element can however be used as a supplement to the mandatory devices.

Add to that, getting things tested by UL or FM is a long, drawn out and expensive process, so I wouldn't hold your breath on approvals happening anytime soon.

Who wants to let a trained provider test it out on your vehicle. I got friends who would love to help out with it....me too!!!

Who wants to let a trained provider test it out on your vehicle. I got friends who would love to help out with it....me too!!!
It would seem to me to be more real world if untrained personnel were demonstrating it on your vehicle? LoL How many people actually have used and understand the use? My personal issue with the Element system is the close proximity factor, I don't want to be literally at arms length (or closer) from an accelerating vehicle fire. But I agree a practical demo would serve all that attend.

It would seem to me to be more real world if untrained personnel were demonstrating it on your vehicle? LoL How many people actually have used and understand the use? My personal issue with the Element system is the close proximity factor, I don't want to be literally at arms length (or closer) from an accelerating vehicle fire. But I agree a practical demo would serve all that attend.
I agree Ralph, I watched the entire video in this thread with interest and the proximity to the fire was my main take away from it. These Element things are not like propellant based extinguishers and the user had to be maybe less than about two arms lengths to put the test fires out with it, and it took a while for it to be effective. Perhaps not practical for a hot developing fire. Whereas when the guy hit a fire with a working dry chem extinguisher the guy was several feet away and the shortest of bursts laid the fire down instantly; and did so in a way that it wasn't likely to restart, as some of the fires extinguished did... Messy yes, but damn effective. I'm sure the Element extinguishers have their place, but I wouldn't want to be without a conventional extinguisher to do the job.

I heard there was a guy who had an engine compartment fire and he just lit the thing and threw it in there and it put out the fire and save it from being a total loss. I'd have to remember where I found the story, but it sounds like someone did some emergency novice experiment and it worked?

That video above clearly shows they work, not sure what the fuss is about. Also like how the first two standard ones didn't even fire, and the third one left sludge 😅

No fuss still just looking for real life data. Lots of ways to skin the cat as they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom