electronic ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what up fellas? been a while since i've had trouble, but now i'm back.

i was running the stock distributor in my 2f. i purchased the D.U.I. elcetronic ignition dist. the other day. i installed the part no problem but the damn thing won't run. i followed the directions to every detail.

at first i would crank the engine over and it would be a rapid series of backfires out of the tail pipe. after that i set all the plug gaps to .52. now when i crank it i only get a single regular quick, (pfts) sound, out of the carburetor and get some nice smoke. the carb is new, and everything worked fine before i swapped the distributors.

another concern is the size of the actual part. the vacume hits the oil filter and i wonder about timing adjustments. also i wonder about the order of the plugs on the cap. which one is #1, after that i know what to do. i've made sure i installed it on the correct TDC, even did both just to make sure.

any suggestions?

Check the Haynes and Toyota MAnuals out. They have a section dedicated to resetting your distributor after it has been removed. The rotor should be pointing at the side cover for the number one cylinder at TDC. Check out the manual for specifics. The firing order should remain the same as it did from the factory.

i know the order the plugs go, i just don't know which one is #1. the distributor cap is totaly different, and there are 3 places where #1 could be.

i got the TDC all worked out, thats not the problem. i mentioned it just to clear up possible diagnosis.

now i am only getting a weak spark, and not turnover, it just cranks.

Johnny, don't know if you solved your problem yet. I dropped the DUI in my '72 about 8 months ago with no problem. As to the wires, I just checked my unit and #1 is directly over the vacuum advance diaphram. The diaphram is pointing towards the corner of the battery tray. If you look down on the distributor #1 is at 5 o'clock. Your symptoms could be wires off by one distributor post. Also did you run the heavier wire to the ignition that was suggested? I have been very happy with this ignition set up. Good luck and I hope this helps. Email me if photos would help. A fellow newbie, Kuhndog.

I thought #1 TDC was pointing at the #4 spark plug or between 4 & 5. I don't think it matters were on the cap or what relation to distributor body or vacuum avance, just as long as you start with #1 there and work around in the correct order. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though :D

Brandon

Question:

When you removed your old dist., you cranked the engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder on the Compression stroke...??? I have seen folks confuse the TDC on the exhaust stroke with the Compression Stroke and be WAAAAYYYY out of time...!!!

I an no Dist expert, but have never had an issue getting engines going by doing the following:

1. Bring engine to TDC on #1 cylinder on the compression stroke (if you have degree marks on the harmonic balancer, they should be very close 0 degrees) idea: Pull the #1 plug and stick your thumb over the hole in the head to feel air pressure building as your bring the engine to TDC. If you are accidentally on the exhaust stroke, the air will leave through the exhaust valve, and you will feel no air escaping the spark plug hole.

2. remove all plug wires, loosen the dist hold down bolt and orient the set-up so that you have plenty of room to adjust for initial timing. If the vac advance diaphram is hitting your oil filter, carb or other obstruction rotate the dist way clear of this (90 degrees, 180 degrees, whatever is necessary). Even Fire Dists will work in any physical orientation, as long as you are firing at the "right time" on the "right spark plug".

3. Now that the engine is at TDC on #1 cylinder, and your dist is in a "good" physical position, pull the dist cap and see which "plug wire contact" the firing tip of the rotor is pointing at. Probably wont be right on any of the contacts. Pick the one that is closest in degrees to where the rotor is pointing. set the cap back on, Use a black marker and make a mark on the DIST BODY that lines up exactly with whichever "plug wire contact" that you identified as closest to the rotor.

4. Remove the Cap. Rotate the dist. body until the mark you made on the body is lined up with the firing tip of the rotor. If nothing went wrong in the procedure you should be a 0 Degrees of advance on Cylinder number 1 right now. Go ahead and snug the dist lock down bolt down (initial timing will have to be set later)

5. Now, you have to know two things about your engine:

A. firing order (cylinder numbering convention)

B. Which way you rotor rotates and the engine runs

6. With #1 cylinder being nailed, and being absolutly sure of the firing order and rotor rotation, install the other 5-7 plug wires.

7. get out you timing light, fire the engine, and set intial timing

This procedure has never failed me.... would be very happy to recieve feedback if others agree or disagree or want to add some detail...

Yup this is a firing order prob., just had this on a Ford Exploder same effect. Haynes has a section in the Ignition and timing section that shows a drawing of distributor to firing order comparison.

i got it all set up. thanks everyone. it was firing order. i just didn't think TDC points to #1 and i could do the rest from there.

again thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom