Electrical nightmare? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dumb question, are all the interior lights dimmed or just the cluster and heater control lights? I don't have a dimmer in my truck. If you just want to dim the cluster and heater control lights then you would need the dedicated R/B wire from the dimmer to the cluster and heater control light.

Dumb question, are all the interior lights dimmed or just the cluster and heater control lights? I don't have a dimmer in my truck. If you just want to dim the cluster and heater control lights then you would need the dedicated R/B wire from the dimmer to the cluster and heater control light.

RUSS SPEAKS , ToyotaMatt Listens ........ :cool:

There is a separate wire for non-dimmed lights. All dimmed lights can run in parallel as in the diagram. It does not require a direct line to the cluster and direct to heater light. In fact electrically there's no difference it is in parallel either way.

I traced the red/black wire from my 79. It splits off a few times. It goes to these places:

1. Headlight switch bulb
2. Heater light
3. Gauge Cluster lights
4. Dash pad light
Bonus:. I wired in a in dash tach (fj60 adapted to late model fj40 bezel) and used this for the light

Last edited:
Red with black are all lights that come off your light switch dimmer. It can be spliced any where as long as all the lights that need to be powered on the dimmer circuit are connected.
According to diagrams in previous post show 2 different R/B circuits. In diagram I got off coolerman website it shows a dedicated R/B from light switch to circuit barrel plug slot/position #10
BUT then Haynes has it basically how mine looks like it was set up

BUT ULTIMATELY you guys gave me the answers I needed - I DO NOT need a dedicated R/B from light switch to barrel plug/cluster, rather I can just use one of the R/B splits off of main R/B circuit .... looks like that’s how it was set up on mine anyways I just got confused by this :

8B5FE04F-2D95-48C9-92E9-8CE1ED966C1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok I’m all set with everything else - quick question on horn relay wires ... I’m putting together the 3 wires for my new horn relay plug and I was curious which wire went to which terminal? G/W ; G/Y ; G/R

D608C921-EBD0-4668-8C44-897FD25246C3.jpeg

Shoot Nevermind - I noticed the labels on the relay - doh

come on brother !

al the shop hot line hours u have now ?

i HAVE FAITH !

u can do it !

:cool: 🦄 :D

Wiring in my tachometer today among the other last little things to clean up … here’s what I found … I have a pic of the tach directions for set up

my question is: it says to wire in the hot wire to my battery fed 12v switched - ignition wire…
so I’m taking my black/yellow???? And splicing in another in-line fuse (with what amp atc - 5-10?)
to my red hot line to tach?

is that right? I’m only confused by the fact that I have my fused line in white….but I know that leads to the back of my gauges to amp meter … someone clear this up for me so I feel comfortable

5EF9E688-F267-4064-B65F-32B2C62E8748.jpeg

70DE1852-36F3-4C78-B964-B854E1E7B7CD.jpeg

1D8CABBB-6CE4-490B-B81F-3E29E8E98467.jpeg

646C7973-288A-433D-8A90-E8B3BA756414.jpeg

Just found this thread given your recent electrical issue. Did you ever take the wiring harness out of the truck? Below is a 1976 FJ40 CA Spec harness.
View attachment 2913534

No I did it in the car - big mistake, I was too nervous inwouldnt know how to put it back right but of course now that I know the fricken harness like the back of my hand I should have done that no question.

I guess it’s still no too late

I have a clean, bench tested and restored 1976 FJ40 CA spec harness 100% original with no modifications. If you decide to take it out, I can help you sort out yours to bring it back to stock.

In reviewing this thread, it appears yours may have been altered to a point where it will not map to the OEM diagram.

I have a clean, bench tested and restored 1976 FJ40 CA spec harness 100% original with no modifications. If you decide to take it out, I can help you sort out yours to bring it back to stock.

In reviewing this thread, it appears yours may have been altered to a point where it will not map to the OEM diagram.

the previous owner changed things or maybe even got anew harness himself from a close year because most things match up with a 76, but then there are some that dont like the light wires (green.white green/yellow etc) dont match up with diagram. that being said I have literally everything working - lights, hazards, i thought i had the wipers but something messed up there, fuse probably after all that s*** i just did to find out that starter wire connection error. but ya i hear ya and yes if i do which i might I will definitely remember you.

its been a while of the car sitting and not being able to be driven - so i just wanna enjoy driving it for a bit before i do something like that just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom