electrical issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I have an electrical issue I need some input on.
Recently my aftermarket horn has been honking on it's own - usually right when I'm next to someone :) This horn connects straight to the battery the wiring is run obviously to the steering column and up to the horn button (a button attached to the column). I disconnected one wire from the horn button and the horn still goes off. Must be grounding out somewhere.

Yesterday I finally got the remote for my Warn winch and was plugging it in and testing the winch. The solenoids click but no spooling. Then I started seeing the winch wire arcing against the bumper. Hmmm... Is this a grounding issue with the whole truck that's also causing the horn issue? Or is the winch wire arcing simply a sign that the winch motor is having issues?

Any input is greatly appreciated,

JBrakebill
72 FJ40

are you sure you've got the positive wires going to the correct terminal? what kind of condition is the rest of the harness in? has everything been hacked up? what kind of condition is the vehicle in? is it a rust bucket?

I doubt a car with an inverted polarity would run, but use a voltmeter placing the positive lead on the positive post of the battery and another to a metal part (engine). You should have a positive value around 12 v. If the value is negative, you have your terminals inverted.

I doubt a car with an inverted polarity would run, but use a voltmeter placing the positive lead on the positive post of the battery and another to a metal part (engine). You should have a positive value around 12 v. If the value is negative, you have your terminals inverted.

along the same lines, reversed polarity...didn't even think of that and i should've since i had a battery in my pig do that just a couple months ago. a good test light will have a dual led, one will light red, one green. check to make sure the flow through the battery is good.

wiring? short?

make sure your winch is wired correctly, if so try disconnecting the wiring to the winch and see if the horn corrects itself

It will run with them reversed on a '72 40... I'll give you 3 guesses how I know. :doh:

It won't start with the battery terminals reversed. The amp meter or its battery wire will burn up and the starter motor would turn the opposite direction. If you disconnected the alternator and push started it, then it would run with the terminals reversed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom