Electrical issue- back up lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Continuing to clean up the wiring in my 62 and have a question. Background- I have an 88 Fj62 LC Conversion with a 4L65E transmission. My reverse lights don't work, never have since I have owned it. I know what the Neutral SS/Reverse light module on the 4L65E transmission looks like, but not sure where the wiring hooks in from the original auto trans. To confuse the issue more, the frame was swapped, so not sure they carried the wire to the right spot. is there a switch somewhere in the dash (or somewhere) where it takes the wiring from the transmission powers the reverse lights? Pictures would be great. Maybe its just a bad connection somewhere, but need to know where to start.

I know there are enough conversions here that someone had to do it. My buddy is cleaning up the wiring for me, so its at the shop right now.

Rich

Did you look in the FSM full schematic? You know it shows every wire in the truck, right?

This is really hard to say without any pictures of what wiring you do have vs what's been clipped.
Is your 4L65 NSS setup wired up to the FJ62 NSS setup? Or is the FJ62 NSS tricked like when swapping a manual transmission into one?
That's your first thing to determine. Once you find the original FJ62 NSS wire bundle (passenger side near the firewall, should be three connectors I think), one wire the there should be for the reverse lights. You'll have to look into the schematic to see how the circuit works for the reverse lights, I want to say the transmission wiring is just a ground switch but I don't remember exactly.

I'm doing a 5.3/4l65 into a FJ62 for a customer next month so I'll have to figure it out again soon enough

Did you look in the FSM full schematic? You know it shows every wire in the truck, right?

This is really hard to say without any pictures of what wiring you do have vs what's been clipped.
Is your 4L65 NSS setup wired up to the FJ62 NSS setup? Or is the FJ62 NSS tricked like when swapping a manual transmission into one?
That's your first thing to determine. Once you find the original FJ62 NSS wire bundle (passenger side near the firewall, should be three connectors I think), one wire the there should be for the reverse lights. You'll have to look into the schematic to see how the circuit works for the reverse lights, I want to say the transmission wiring is just a ground switch but I don't remember exactly.

I'm doing a 5.3/4l65 into a FJ62 for a customer next month so I'll have to figure it out again soon enough
Thanks Matt. I have a Lokar shifter and there is a module in the kick panel and it may be as simple as using that. We see the Red/Blue white at both ends. I did look at the FSM, but it doesn't mention the Back up light switch. There is a light blue power wire that splits into NSS, Wiper module, and Back up lights. We are looking into how my NSS is hooked up. But may just use the Lokar module. If its that easy, I'm not clear why it was never set up.

Pictures- I think the Lokar box is just for the indicator on the shifter itself.
lokar controller.jpg
tail light wiring.jpg
Lokar 2.jpg

You are making this way more complicated then it needs to be - You have a indicator switch on the transmission itself, right? Where the gear selector enters the transmission case?

I just looked in my FSM to refresh my memory. In the original wire bundle on the passenger side, it sounds like you identified the blue wire which should be the +12V for the reverse lights. There should also be a red wire with a black stripe. That is the wire to send +12V TO the tailights. First step is to hook those together and verify that your reverse lights function.
The indicator switch on the original A440f just connects the two.
That's what you need to figure out how to do, maybe you can use your fancy shifter indicator to trigger a relay to bridge them. I am not sure if the 4l65 indicator switch on the transmission is also a continuity switch like it is on the Toyota, maybe it is though. If it is then that is the way I would go as it prevents you from needing to run wire through sheetmetal.

You can hook up a wire to the "Backup" output on that Lokar box and run it direct to the back up light on the power side and you are in business. Lokar knows that often with a shifter swap the vehicle loses back up lights and that is why it is on the module.

Easy Peasy

PS. I'd terminate any other power leads that may be going to the backup lights so that you don't back power anything.

Last edited:
Whichever method you choose to do, I would just shoot for that red/black wire in the bundle with the NSS, that way you don’t have to cut into the Fj62 harness anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom