Electrical Gurus Needed - Audio Amplifier Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

S4Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm scratching my head here so I need to get some thoughts/advice from you guys (and gals).

I'm in the process of trying to install an Audiobahn 2 channel amplifier to a set of 6x9s. I'm using an Alpine head unit.

I installed the head unit and speakers a week ago and they work fine but not loud enough so I'm adding the amp. I got the amp all hooked up and then I have no power to the truck at all (no lights, ignition, etc). If I unhook the power lead for the amp (from the battery terminal) then I get power back to the truck (lights, started, etc). This made me think there might be a dead short in the amplifier. So I reconnected the amp power wire to the battery but left it disconnected from the amp and no power to the truck.

I redid the connections for the inline fuse for the amp power wire (still disconnected) to the amp and now I have power to the truck. Rehook the power wire to the amp and now power to the amp (turns on), power to the trruck and tunes :bounce:. I thought all was well...so I cleaned up my wiring (zip ties, routing, etc) then rehook everything up to the battery/amp and now I'm having the same problem :bang:.

I'm lost...do you think the amp could have a random dead short or do I have other mystery demons hinding in my truck's wiring. Any troubleshooting ideas would be awesome.

:cheers:
-Jon

I would suggest undoing everything you did (disconnect everythign eletrical that you added) and see if the problem goes away. If it does then I would suspect the amp and/or head unit.

Take the above advice, then if it still has problems, take the amplifier to a stereo shop and have them test the amplifier's circuits. It could be that power is somehow touching the chassis (heat sink); if the chassis is bolted directly to the body, then power is being sent through the ground, which may cause the issue.

Take the above advice, then if it still has problems, take the amplifier to a stereo shop and have them test the amplifier's circuits. It could be that power is somehow touching the chassis (heat sink); if the chassis is bolted directly to the body, then power is being sent through the ground, which may cause the issue.

I think this is the case. I'm at a shop now getting the amp tested....which I hope is the problem.

Thanks for the help so far.

So the stereo shop said the amp was fine. Brought it back, hooked everything up and it works. Then went to tighten the battery terminals, try the radio...no power.

So I put on a new positive terminal connector and I'm good now. Upon further inspection of the old terminal connector, I found a crack through the lead wrap that I assume was causing some type of a random short.

I was beginning to wonder about my sanity there for a minute as I've installed tons of stereo systems...

I'll take a pic later of where I mounted the amp just for the hell of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom