Electrical Gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a 66 FJ40 with a smog equiped 350 awhile back. All electrical stuff worked. Since then I removed the janky radio setup that was powered by the wiper motor. Now the headlights no worky and the wipers only work if I bridge the fuse holder bracket to the screw holding the wire on the fuse block. I replaced all the fuses too. I'm not sure if this is related but the truck will suddenly just die while driving but will start again only if I wiggle one of the wires to the HEI distributor.

Any advise on finding the cause of my electrical issues? Maybe a grounding problem?

Thanks. Doug

On the distributor one wire is running from the ignition switch and one of the wires is for a tach. Do you have a tach?

Maybe you bumped something when removing the radio that is affecting the headlights?

Check the fuses now that you've replaced em and see if they're out again. Maybe you've got a short that blew it just as fast as you replaced it.

sounds like something (multiple things) is (are) hacked up. I would check all your grounds and connectors to start, and if PO wired the radio into the wipers then who knows what else was connected to some other switches you wouldn't expect. Time to put your wiring diagram (hopefully you have an FSM or a good go-by) and multimeter to good use.

Sounds like bad connections somewhere between the battery and ground. You have to dig in and find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom