Electric ignitions?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any electric ignitions on their F or 2F motors? What kind and did it give much improvement on performance? I was looking at a few and was wondering if they were worth the investment. MSD now has an offroad version that looks nice. Thanks for the input...

I am using a GM HEI unit from a 78 camaro inline six. I am very happy with the performance. I would have liked to keep the Toyota electronic ignition but my distributor went bad and it was big $$ to replace. You can either piece all of the parts from local parts stores (coil, ignition module, cap, rotor, etc.) or you can buy a drop in unit from Classic Cruisers, or Davis Unified Ignitions. My favorite part is how simple it is, one power wire and one wire to tachometer. Also you can get parts everywhere. Good luck finding a Toyota igniter in stock at your local parts store!

Will an HEI distributor like at classic cruisers give you the multi spark like a MSD ignition module will??

Years ago I installed an MSD 6 to my '75 2F. The only real benefit I experienced was a cleaner plug, less fouling and therefore longer plug life. No noticable improvements in mileage or power. I recently switched from the stock points distributor to an electronic system from a '79 cruiser. This made a considerable improvement in power, idle, fuel economy and smog readings.
If I were to do it again, I'd convert to an electronic system ('79+ toy, HEI, DUI, etc.) long before adding an MSD.
BTW - the offroad version of the MSD is just more water resistant and vibration resistant than the original unit. This is something that can be accomplished with a little silicone sealant and some rubber washers IMHO. I've been running my standard MSD6 this way or over 9 years without any problems.

Well, it sounds to me like the HEI unit at classic cruisers is the way to go...Thanks guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom