Electric A/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been setting up my land cruiser recently and I have pretty much modified/ replaced / fixed just about everything I can think of that could go wrong or has worn out except the Air conditioner and interior. I was wondering before I shell out a few hundred dollars to get it to blow cold again if anyone new of any alternative cooling systems? Has anyone ever attemped an electric cooling system that could get the pump off the engine and separate off an auxillary battery or something? If not I think I might get creative here and see what I could come up with. I would love the Idea of being able to get one more thing off the engine.

That would make for one more load on the alternator, and I would think it would be a biggy.

Yes, it would load the altenator a lot more and in the end it would cost more to run as nothing is 100% efficient. Figure a 1 hp motor at 12v. The altenator load would shock you.

I was wondering how the new hybrids handle it? I figured where the a/c mounted I could run a separte alternator dedicated to that and my second battery. I know the new hybrids are extremely efficient and do not require the car to be running to use the a/c. I have access to a c/c machine so I could whip up a bracket pretty quick for a second alt. I was just curious if it had been done, i'm alwasy so suprised at some new mods people are coming up with on here. I know some of the smaller rv rooftop a/c units only use about 1000-12000 watts, which is roughly a 100 amp alternator if I did my math correctly and that is for a whole travel trailer. i think something like 9500 btu I would need probably half that at most.

I then would have to make it work with my existing system and make it look clean under the hood.

Kurtis,

What are you thinking for relocating the unit? Are you aware of roof mounted A/C units? Roof mounted units have the compressor, condenser and evaporator all in one roof package. The only part protruding into the interior is the control knobs and low profile distribution ducting.

Installation will require cutting a hole in the roof and possibly beefing up your alternator, but the units are out there. Google search: Wabasco, Coleman, Thermo-King and others.

Rick

You're contradicting yourself! Taking off the A/C pump and adding an altenator is not getting loads off the engine.

I would love the Idea of being able to get one more thing off the engine.

I figured where the a/c mounted I could run a separte alternator dedicated to that and my second battery.

I see the contradiction and realize if in fact i ran this type of system I would lose some efficiancy . I guess I was really just hoping it would be miniumul and it might be nice to run the a/c with the engine off. It gets really hot here in the summer I guess I was just trying to be creative I also thought that when driving on the highway up to the mountains I could disconnect with a switch and run off just batteries for those long mountain climbs. In that case anyone know where to get a new compressor for a 2f?

Hi,
For what it's worth, an all-electric compressor typically runs $1000+. They also run at much higher than 12 volts. (some at 480v.) If you give me your vehicle specs I'll get you pricing on a compressor.
Thanks,
Rex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom