El Duderino's 1994 FZJ80 - The Crusher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice build. I have a set of steelies Im getting ready to mount and was curious about your center caps.
Can you give me more specifics on them? Are they just stock? P/n?
Thanks and have enjoyed this thread.
John

Very nice build. I have a set of steelies Im getting ready to mount and was curious about your center caps.
Can you give me more specifics on them? Are they just stock? P/n?
Thanks and have enjoyed this thread.
John

Thanks for the compliments. Not sure which center caps you're asking about - I currently don't have any installed on the steelies. It's just the standard hubs that you see protruding through the center of the wheels.

I do want to adapt some older Toyota center caps to complete the look, however!

I finally made progress on my seats (well, one of them) a few weekends ago. I decided to try swapping to the manual 1991 FJ80 seats I've had in my attic for quite some time. Originally I wanted to put these cloth covers on my power seats, but those have been acting up lately. I'd prefer the simplicity of manual seats. Started with driver's seat only to test it out. Main problem is that the early 80s had the seat belt receiver mounted to the floor, and there's no good way to do that on a '94 FZJ.

First I unbolted the seat belt receiver from the power driver's seat on my '94 FZJ80. It has a big steel mounting loop, and the bolt is a special shouldered part that locates the receiver with a tight fit on the diameter, but doesn't pinch it axially, so the receiver can still pivot around the bolt centerline. There's a little thin wavy washer to keep a bit of preload on the receiver so it doesn't rattle. It also has two rotation limiting tangs that stop it from rotating too far in either direction. On the power seat, it mounts to a beefy doubler plate that has a captive nut inside it.

I held up the receiver to the older FJ80 manual driver's seat with the right side plastic cover removed. I found a position I liked for the new receiver mount, and marked for drilling a hole. I tried to locate it far enough forward so that the recliner mechanism wouldn't foul on the receiver, but ended up having to file both parts down a bit.

AahDmbHl.jpg

1sckkpnl.jpg

Here it is installed with the original FZJ80 bolt and wavy washer. Between the receiver and the seat frame I used a ~3/8" thick larger diameter nut as a spacer. This is temporary as it should really have a machined cylindrical spacer here. Then I went to the local hardware store and bought some Grade 8 nylock nuts. This bolt has 7/16"-20 threads, not metric (although it's very close to M10 x 1.25, it isn't!).

ZU54aGbl.jpg

In the photo below you might be able to see the spacer nut and the new (gold colored) Grade 8 nylock nut. This had to go inside of the frame, up against the seat bottom cover & foam. It's not really hurting anything there.

vDpJp49l.jpg

The end result is I was able to bolt the manual driver's seat into my truck and drive around. It's a nice upgrade over the original seat with torn leather and missing foam. I would never claim that my seat belt receiver mounting was as strong as Toyota's original solution on the power seat, but it seems quite solid. A better solution would be to cut the circular doubler plate out of the power seat and weld it to the manual frame to improve the strength of that part. Maybe I'll do this next.

IWcUgZgl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom