EHEO Kisatchie Camping Trip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image-2288788942.jpg

image-1371076374.jpg

image-2288788942.jpg

image-1371076374.jpg

Are there rv hookups? Will everyone be camping in a rv area or off the beaten path? Those dates might be an issue with some because of x-mas party's. As Lance said,"I'm Lurking"

There are hookups in the actual campgrounds but we were planning on a couple spots off the beaten path that I have in mind. The spot we have used before by the lake may not actually e big enough depending on attendance. Bart, John, and Erick may weigh in on that as well.

There's also a nice secluded clearing we came across that was more than adequate for probably 10-12 tents and trucks. Still off the beaten path though.

What about ATV's and side by sides? Are they allowed out there?

Someone does not pay attention to PSAs

I don't have site in front of me but search for OHV maps for the park and you can see where you are able to go with what, but yes you can get your ATV on out there.

I tried looking after the Br meeting. Is there any regulations about lug depth for ATV's.

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

It looks like Ranger Bart has been replaced by Ranger Matt!

I think the spot by the lake would be big enough if we plan properly for the number of people. It looked a lot bigger the last time I was there, although I was by myself. There is also another short trail off of that same gravel road that has more area. The downsides are no lake, closer to the road, and the site is much more visible from the road.

If we go a little bit further to the north, in the Kisatchie district, there is a cool spot along Kisatchie Bayou that would probably be big enough. Again this site is kind of close to the road, but not as visible.

Just throwing a couple of ideas out. We could also have whoever goes up first scout around for a good spot, but it may be difficult to get the location out to a larger group AND have everyone find it.

They do have designated atv riding areas with trails and also the atv's are allowed on the other trails on the trail map. The rule of thumb is to follow the map. If a trail is not on the map, no can go. also there are trails with special designations outlined on the maps.

I found out I will not be able to get off on that Friday, but will probably go right after work or on Saturday morning. I still have to clear it with the woman.

BTW:

Matt do you remember wear that larger, secluded clearing is?

Don't know about that, I just responded quicker ;)

I'd like to go into the area in the north as well on north side of the highway, that the Kistachi district?

That large secluded spot, would work but I'd need to see Bart's maps to remember where the heck it was. The spot on bayou sounds good too.

Trail wise, yeah stay only on the designated trails so you don't get fussed, not that I'd know...

North of and adjacent to Hwy. 28 is still the Calcasieu district. The Kisatchie district is actually northwest of Calcasieu. In looking at the map again, the Bayou site is a bit further away from Lake Kincaid than I was thinking, but not too bad. It only took me a little over half a day to get there from the Lake. :) Of course I was taking backroads and dirt roads and ran into some gates when I was almost to the next hwy and had to back track and go around and explore some other back roads and dirt roads.

The Kisatchie district seems to be more interesting to me except for the lack of water, other than the bayou. It is a hillier area with lots of trails. Most of the trails are still out and back though.

Can someone give me more of an exact location to where everyone will be camping? Try to find the closest rv site to where everyone will be.

If we camp by lake Kincaid (there are some pics of our outing on google earth to give you location) we aren't too far from camp grounds. We can always look for something closer.

I'll take some screenshots and lay/long when I get back to office

31.25670*N 92.65125*W Exact enough for ya??

seriously, I think they are still trying to decide an exact location but luckily for you there are only a couple of places for RV's. In the Calcasieu district, which is the area west of Alexandria and mostly lies between Hwy. 28 and Hwy. 165, there is the Kincaid Recreation Area and the Valentine Lake Campground. I know the former accepts RV's and I assume the latter does also. One of the sites we are talking about is on Kincaid Lake but is on the other side of the lake from the campground. The Valentine Lake campground is actually closer to that site. Information on both of those areas and the type of hookups is listed on the website.

There are several campgrounds in the Kisatchie district.

Once the Event Horizons group decides on a spot it will be easier to locate the closest girly, I mean RV site.

Now, does someone else want to chime in on the whole RV thing with some sort of derogatory comments? :)

31.25670*N 92.65125*W Exact enough for ya??

seriously, I think they are still trying to decide an exact location but luckily for you there are only a couple of places for RV's. In the Calcasieu district, which is the area west of Alexandria and mostly lies between Hwy. 28 and Hwy. 165, there is the Kincaid Recreation Area and the Valentine Lake Campground. I know the former accepts RV's and I assume the latter does also. One of the sites we are talking about is on Kincaid Lake but is on the other side of the lake from the campground. The Valentine Lake campground is actually closer to that site. Information on both of those areas and the type of hookups is listed on the website.

There are several campgrounds in the Kisatchie district.

Once the Event Horizons group decides on a spot it will be easier to locate the closest girly, I mean RV site.

Now, does someone else want to chime in on the whole RV thing with some sort of derogatory comments? :)

That would be Endless Horizon...........

here is an image from google earth

Kisatchie.jpg

Kisatchie.jpg

Thanks John for your help or .02 cents. The rv sites might be an issue since i plan on bring up a atv, but the Kisatchie website is absolute crap and very difficult to figure anything out. Anyway once everyone figures out where they are going I can begin planning.

Also, John I do remember rolling over in my cozy bed from my girlie rv at the krawl and looked out the window to see you in the freezing drizzly rain standing next to the fire. You had on your jacket, gloves, ear muffs, and were trying to get warm by the fire. I thought s*** that looks cold and I went back to sleep. I spent 6 weeks in a tent canoeing boundary waters in Canada and I do know that Rv's suck but heat, a bed, shower and shelter ROCK!

You paint a nice picture. I was almost believing it until you got to the ear muffs!

No doubt that the RV is more comfortable. Perhaps I am a little off, but I actually enjoy being away from the comforts of home sometimes and getting a bit more primitive, especially with the freedom it allows.

In my younger days I was totally against RV's and couldn't understand how anybody could think that was camping. The biggest thing I have noticed at RV campgrounds is the people who roll in with their big mobile homes, hook up, and then stay inside the whole time rather than enjoying the outdoors. As I get older I have begun to appreciate and understand the desire for the comfort provided by an RV.

I will still give you a hard time though!!

I agree about the website, it is a pain in the ass to find any information. Here is a link to a page with links to the various RV campgrounds. http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/kisatchie/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=34613&actid=31 I am thinking more than likely we would end up in the Evangeline unit of the Calcasieu district. It looks like Valentine does not have hookups. The Ranger stations are usually very helpful also when calling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom