EGT Temps and Driving Tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Just got my KZJ78 with the 1KZ - first time owning and driving a diesel. I been lurking and searching here on the forums about the EGT temps and I’ve kind of got the idea reading here that 1200-1400F isn’t abnormal to see as far as EGTs. But definitely want to avoid the upper limit as much as possible.

But from my couple days driving my car so far - I’ve seen temps up to 1000-1100+ on flat ground trying to get up to 60mph. I would say I’m pretty easy on the pedal and don’t see much above 2000 RPM.

Even just trying to get to 35mph with a slight incline I’d see EGT temps at 900F following normal traffic patterns (maybe even a little slower). I feel like I’m holding up traffic trying to get to speed even at just a low speed because the temps jump up. And I’m trying to keep them low.

Is this normal? Having never driven or owned a diesel I’m not sure I have a baseline. Should I expect to see 1100-1200 during normal driving and/or acceleration to get up to speed?

How long can I hold 1200F+ safely if at all? I’ve read short spurts. But what does that mean? Couple minutes uphill, a few seconds before letting

I want to do some road trips up through the cascade mountains and coast range - but I’m worried based on what I’ve seen on flat ground that I would be pushing the car to it’s limit.

Should I be worried about what I’m seeing? Or am I just paying far too much attention to the EGT gauge and just drive it normally? I’m not a lead foot by any means. I think knowing that and seeing the temps just has me worried.

i did an EGR delete and have a 3” exhaust. Thinking that’s going to help. But again I’m not sure I have a baseline.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If its more or less stock, just drive it normally. On my 1HDFTE, I have not even bothered installing a EGT gauge, has the stock Toyota tune.
Thank you Hulsty! It’s pretty much stock from an engine standpoint. It should be noted I do have 32” tires and a roof top tent. But no custom tunes.

Is yours a manual or an auto? Where is your egt metering? Before or after the turbo? 1400 is scary high in my opinion. And staying at low rpm will not help lower your temps. Revving it out (within reason) is how you get those gasses out, and temps lower.

Opinions vary but if I ever go above 1200 degrees I immediately take steps to reduce... Drop a gear, reduce throttle, reduce speed...

Is yours a manual or an auto? Where is your egt metering? Before or after the turbo? 1400 is scary high in my opinion. And staying at low rpm will not help lower your temps. Revving it out (within reason) is how you get those gasses out, and temps lower.

Opinions vary but if I ever go above 1200 degrees I immediately take steps to reduce... Drop a gear, reduce throttle, reduce speed...

Hi JDM Journeys, thanks for the reply -

My EGT probe is pre-turbo and I have an automatic transmission.

I wish I had a manual, but my wife drives the car as well and she’s not confident driving a manual.

I guess that’s kind of where I’m at - I tend to play things really safe so I am trying to avoid anything around 1200 - but I think in doing so I’m driving pretty slow and can’t keep up with the flow of traffic. Even at lower speed limits. Kind of why I’m worried about driving it up into the mountains.

so you suggest reviving it up while I’m accelerating to make it drop a gear and that should help?

just curious - is seeing these temps normal with such conservative driving or should I be thinking about taking it to a shop?

I think briefly elevated temps around town is fine, and 900° or so is well within normal, in my experience. Overdrive can have the engine lugging esp on a grade. Try switching it off if temps start creeping. If it's a sustained climb, physically shifting down another gear can help too (obviously you don't want to over rev it). Measuring preturbo will show higher temps so that's why I asked.

Sounds like you're in the realm of normal... How are your smoke levels? There's usually a direct correlation between black smoke and rising EG temps. Try driving it a little less conservatively and I'll bet you see the temps coming down.

1400 aint to bad, once I did my mods I didnt see anything over 1200F pre turbo even flat out up a hill with a heavy trailer, been like this for a few years now- average 600KM a week

Mine when stock would easily hit 1600-1700F ! I could see why the previous owner had done the head

Boost is your friend on these motors, I could not believe the difference boost plus 3" exhaust plus intercooler makes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom