EGR delete - 1999 Prado 1KZTE (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to delete my EGR on my 1999 Prado 1KZTE. I’m at 250k km, want to hit at least 500k :)

I know this has been talked about lots, but no definitive instructions (that I can find) exist, and there are only one or two YouTube videos that don’t go into as much detail as I would like. I’ve also been through all the posts on most forums.

I’m looking at the Vanlife Northwest EGR delete kit (two blocking plates).

Has anybody done this who can give me some feedback? My specific questions:

What do you do with the vacuum hoses? Block them off? Leave them? Insert ball bearing to block?

How has the vehicle been running since the EGR delete? Any roughy starts or shut downs?

Any engine codes? Did you need to modify ECU?

Did you need to modify or remove any sensors?

Did you alter the butterfly? (Not even sure which one, just read about this on some forums).

Any help would be appreciated.

this is a great question, i have more questions to add on this.
i am planing to do the same, i watched few videos, thinking to block the vacuum line use ball bearing and cut a aluminium plate using angle grinder then block it off, i watched some people using blocking plate with tinny hole in it, i wondering what's the difference? after blocking it , will we see any code and check engine light? 🤔🤔

I did this exact kit on my prado and installed an EGT temp sensor with it. I managed to do it without removing the cylinder head but did have to deal with some stripped bolts and ended up using a dremel at one point to cut through part of a bracket. The kit comes with a cap for the only vacuum hose you have to mess with. No codes were tripped as there are no sensors involved.

I did pull the cylinder head recently to remedy a broken glow plug. Upon removing the intake manifold, I found tons of carbon gunk in it and head intake inlets. If you really want make this job easy (in a long and scenic way) and very thorough, I would recommend pulling the head to get good access to the EGR as the pipe against the firewall makes it quite difficult to remove. Injectors and plugs have about a 100k service and faulty injectors will increase your odds of cracking a head.

So yah, overall not a terribly hard job just an awkward one everything is out of sight and against the firewall. If you're up for a bigger but more thorough job, pull the head, check for infamous cracks, do some cleaning, do new head studs, and have a happier engine overall. Since doing this, I noticed no change in driving or starting. Maybe I'm not observant enough, who knows.

I did the EGR delete with this same kit, and as @pavlenti said, its quite tricky to remove the EGR pipe that runs between the engine and firewall connecting the exhaust to intake manifold.

I was able to remove the pipe without removing the intake manifold or cylinder head, but it took me a god 30 minutes to get the dang thing out, trying numerous positions in wiggling the pipe out. It was helpful for me to have the exhaust manifold/turbo removed as I had more room to maneuver the EGR pipe where I needed it to in order to get it out.

My experience has been the same in that I haven't noticed any codes or lights on the dash. I do notice a little more power upon acceleration, which is nice, but I have also fitted an upsized 3" stainless steel down pipe/exhaust.

I did the EGR delete with this same kit, and as @pavlenti said, its quite tricky to remove the EGR pipe that runs between the engine and firewall connecting the exhaust to intake manifold.

I was able to remove the pipe without removing the intake manifold or cylinder head, but it took me a god 30 minutes to get the dang thing out, trying numerous positions in wiggling the pipe out. It was helpful for me to have the exhaust manifold/turbo removed as I had more room to maneuver the EGR pipe where I needed it to in order to get it out.

My experience has been the same in that I haven't noticed any codes or lights on the dash. I do notice a little more power upon acceleration, which is nice, but I have also fitted an upsized 3" stainless steel down pipe/exhaust.
What type of aluminum did you fabricate the new exhaust system with?

Last edited:

Yeah, I’m not doing that. That’s one broken bolt away from being a huge ****ing disaster

Looking to delete my EGR on my 1999 Prado 1KZTE. I’m at 250k km, want to hit at least 500k :)

I know this has been talked about lots, but no definitive instructions (that I can find) exist, and there are only one or two YouTube videos that don’t go into as much detail as I would like. I’ve also been through all the posts on most forums.

I’m looking at the Vanlife Northwest EGR delete kit (two blocking plates).

Has anybody done this who can give me some feedback? My specific questions:

What do you do with the vacuum hoses? Block them off? Leave them? Insert ball bearing to block?

How has the vehicle been running since the EGR delete? Any roughy starts or shut downs?

Any engine codes? Did you need to modify ECU?

Did you need to modify or remove any sensors?

Did you alter the butterfly? (Not even sure which one, just read about this on some forums).

Any help would be appreciated.
Here you go:
EGR bypass video:

What type of aluminum did you fabricate the new exhaust system with?
I ended up purchasing a bolt on 3" stainless steel exhaust kit from PPD Performance, based out of Australia. They were able to ship the parts to me in the US.

Did you remove butteries(small one and the main one inside throttle body) or just blocked EGR on both exhaust and intake side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom