eatSleepWoof gets a 6x12 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a new, 5000lb jack, and mounted propane tanks with auto-changeover regulator. Leak-tested the interior, fixed a few poorly seated fittings, good to go!

QLM0Gc1.jpg

I'd suggest getting a 5k axle with electric brakes. Seeing as though you are in the mountains, it'll help your tow rig. Plus adding the electric brakes isn't too intense. Especially seeing what you have already created.
Looks amazing, excellent work! Those weight numbers surprised me, especially considering what you have installed.
Are you planning on a custom mattress? Or using a regular one? Most RVs mattresses leave a ton to be desired. At least the ones I've had. That's been the first thing I switch out, for a higher quality item

I'd suggest getting a 5k axle with electric brakes. Seeing as though you are in the mountains, it'll help your tow rig. Plus adding the electric brakes isn't too intense. Especially seeing what you have already created.
Looks amazing, excellent work! Those weight numbers surprised me, especially considering what you have installed.
Are you planning on a custom mattress? Or using a regular one? Most RVs mattresses leave a ton to be desired. At least the ones I've had. That's been the first thing I switch out, for a higher quality item

I'll definitely be getting brakes. The axle setup is still up for discussion and I think it'll largely depend on the prices/quotes I'm given.

Axle rating is one thing, but I also have to consider what weight the tires are capable of supporting. In my current tire size I've got the most heavy-duty tires that are available, and they're only good for about 1700lb each, so I'm already nearish to the limit. I'll be either matching the bolt pattern to the LX, or going up to a larger trailer tire as part of the axle swap.

For sleeping: we've got 2 of the Exped 10 LXW mattresses that we used in our previous setups. These are 32" wide (not 30", as advertised) and 77" long, so they're a perfect fit for our sleeping area. The Exped straps that join two singles into one unit should be arriving later today.

Reactions: YMT
Added flanges and downward facing pipe for the two air intakes on the diesel heater. This will keep rain/snow out.

1TZF6BQ.jpg

Built the second access panel, finished it in the same Herculiner that was used before, ran hot and cold water plus propane through it. The panel is insulated on the inside.

n53u1Ia.jpg

Finished the bed. It is composed of three carpeted pieces of 3/4" plywood, which are easily removable for access to everything below.

2yNEdGh.jpg

The two Exped Megamat 10 LXW mattresses are an absolutely perfect fit. Also temporarily mounted the heater's controller (using double-sided tape) until I figure out a more permanent location for it.

TCS5mw9.jpg

08YafPM.jpg

Installed roller blinds on both windows. These ensure privacy while still letting some light through.

8WdzgpY.jpg

U5dkNKk.jpg

Took the trailer on a shake-down camping trip this weekend. Three days, two nights, about 1.5 hours away from home.

Towed beautifully; very stable and predictable on the highway, on twisty backroads, and a dirt FSR, too. Everything worked great inside and out.

The 2KW heater is a perfect match for this trailer: at lowest heating setting (level 1 of 6), with the bed window fully open and 3-4C outside, the trailer was kept at 24-26C inside (thermostat hanging on the wall by the open window). The only noise we heard from the heater was the ticking of the fuel pump; it was otherwise silent. We actually had to open and run the fan to cool it down (which it did), otherwise it was simply too hot. All that insulation I put in is already paying dividends. This will be an absolute gem in winter camping.

Two nights of running the heater (12-13 hours each night) used only about half of the 5L tank of diesel.

We also came home with 80% battery charge left, and most of the 170L of water that I filled up before leaving home.

DFUZOAq.jpg

GrgMShj.jpg

GoNPRkX.jpg

7D9Azq4.jpg

Had a few spare moments, made some updates.

Added kitchen cubbies/shelves. Dividers are adjustable.

MeLvCbZ.jpg

Got a base plate for the porta potty toilet, made a matching 3/4" plywood base, mounted it to the floor.

BYH7CzY.jpg

The toilet clips in, and removes easily by pulling the latch at the front. It's not meant to be used inside the trailer (although it could be), so this is more for secure transport & storage.

lr89Gau.jpg

Added a shelf above the toilet. Also added a new 12v outlet in the corner, powered through 8 gauge wiring from the existing electrical setup. Note the 3 tiny holes drilled through the shelf - the fridge is bolted down through these holes.

iye1Jsj.jpg

And here is the 30QT fridge. Runs very quiet, and draws 4.45amps at max power. Completely empty, it cooled from 30C to 10C in about 15 minutes.

The fridge is bolted down through the plywood shelf, using original holes/threads on the fridge's floor, but with longer bolts. I might remove the bolts and use an overtop strap in the future; will see.

h7HRI5s.jpg

pCDBB2n.jpg

I'll be adding a drawer between the fridge shelf and the toilet in the near future.

I also removed the propane lines running through the interior of the trailer, leaving only the one running to the water heater. I did a ton of research into propane appliances and realized that my low-pressure system would not run typical camping propane stoves (as I intended), and the best course of action was to remove it. I might add an inverter for a hot plate in the interior, but realistically, will probably just use a 1lb propane tank and my existing stove when/if cooking inside.

Beneath the bed was a vertical wall which divided the area into two spaces; I decided that a single large space was going to be more useful, so I relocated that wall as far to the passenger side as possible, and enclosed the back, giving me a 48" deep and 32.5" wide space. This will be a huge storage spot to haul bins of firewood (or whatever else) on the way in to camp, and will act as a crate for my dog when we are in camp. By keeping the dog contained here it'll free up much needed floorspace, which will make our own lives 10x easier.

FiydyMt.jpg

The storage door swings open all the way, providing unobstructed access to the space, and locks via a single sliding barrel bolt.

lo9R9di.jpg

I trimmed out everything around, painted the trim, applied silicone between the trim/walls and floor.

On the left of this space I mounted two shoe holders. They expand (outward) to hold shoes of different thickness, and work for everything from slippers to boots. Another little upgrade to maximize the floorspace!

DcuoJyT.jpg

Last edited:
Added carpet in the storage area as well as the entry way; this will keep things cleaner, and minimize items shifting around in transit.

gNFqJAe.jpg

jOY09BF.jpg

retjhP9.jpg

Built a cabinet above the fridge, and added a small hook for the fridge strap to hang on when it's not in use.

H1nemAM.jpg

ksDUSXh.jpg

1AFIRoG.jpg

uYw0XI2.jpg

Another small update: installed a NOCO extension cord pass-through in the driver's side wall. This allows me to run 120v from the home to inside the trailer. The outlet comes out under the bed. The NOCO comes with a rubber gasket, but I also applied silicone underneath/around it. Rather than using provided self-tapping screws (which won't provide much grip in the aluminum skin) I installed stainless, M4 rivnuts and bolted the NOCO in.

NOwyPBO.jpg

MtWLBP4.jpg

ibgf6zD.jpg

I will put a oil-filled radiator heater inside the trailer over the winter and will plug it into this extension. This will keep the interior of the trailer above-freezing all winter, and I won't need to remove my lithium batteries, nor worry about anything else, really.

I've already drained all water, drained the water heater, filled all lines with RV antifreeze, and covered the roof with a tarp. The tarp isn't necessary, but it'll keep the trailer cleaner so I have less work to do in the spring. Winterization is basically done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom