Easy way to set angle on front axle for soa? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it sounds stupid but I wanted to know if there is an easy way to determine proper angle when turning your knuckles and setting up your perch postion when doing a spring over. I did the s/o last year and its night and day with regards to ride and articulation, but I thought I might get away with not turning the knuckles. I am getting vibration at high speeds in 4 wheel drive and have finally decided to bite the bullet and turn the knuckles. Also I've seen the saginaw double cardian installed in the driveshaft with a machined adapter plate and was wondering if anyone knows what vehicle you can rob the double cardian off of.
Thanks for any info

The double cardan was a spicer invention. The driveshaft from the 84 toy mini has the right bolt pattern on the CV end to fit the large flange (74+) cruiser. Aim your pinion up at drive line angle and turn knuckles 4 degrees back from 0. Read the tech pages and do a search on SOA in these forums. Woody has a good tech link with pics and descriptions. The discussions on this topic are quite informative too. Check em out.

Fullsize bronco's have beefy double cardans in the rear. You could either make the bronco shaft work (get a shop to make it the right length and new flanges) or steal its cardan and get a d-shaft shop to weld it in. The mini shaft is probably much easier to install, but there are a lot more newer trashed broncos around than minis. Pre '85 FJ60's have a double cardan CV up front I believe. IIRC

Oh Yeah,
I've got a 74 with aluminum tub,sprung over, running 33's. I just finished a full cage (model 3 kicks ass)in which I fabricated a set up that will accept a heep bikini top with runners that keep the driver compartment water and air tight! I read alot of posts asking about a bikini setup that would do this. As soon as I get some time I will post pictures and measurements/materials to do this. I have this setup with kayline doors. I'm going to check out a broke down 82 4wd toyota truck on monday to see if I can rob parts and just read about the toyota driveshafts, this is after I posted.

a good starting point with most SOA's is 15 degrees...12 at the pinion, 3 for the caster. Puts your running caster at +4. Setting perch angle is equally important, you will get to remove/replace yours.

IMO, if you are getting a vibration at speed in 2wd with the hubs locked in, then it's a driveshaft issue and not the cut-turn. If you were having steering problems, then blame axle.

Also IMO, if you did not cut-turn you can "most likely" run a non-CV driveshaft, just make sure the pinion flange and the t-case flange are in the same degree range.

see http://www.4xshaft.com for pics on measureing/determining that. IE: output is 4 degrees down, pinion should be 4 degrees up (from parallel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom