Easy way to drain/change clutch fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wanting to replace the old filthy DOT3 fluid in my clutch cylinders. I was going to just install a whole new setup from JT Outfitters I just received, but wanted to try a fluid change and adjustment first, while I'm waiting on my flare nut wrench. 10mm, right? I found a used 10-12 mm Snap-on on ebay. Can I attach my plastic tubing to the bleed nipple, open it, and use the pedal to pump it out?

My cruiser sat for a few weeks and I had to pump up the pedal to get the clutch to work. It's pretty much stayed pumped up, so no leak I presume. It def needs adjustment, it has a lot of free travel. TIA

Why do a fluid change and adjustment if you're going to be replacing the clutch master and slave?

Should be able to gravity drain the old fluid by attaching a hose to the bleeder, loosen the bleeder and let the old fluid drain into a container. Then swap in the new parts and add new fluid. Again you should be able to gravity bleed the new clutch hydraulics, let the new fluid drain into and through the slave, top off the master, then tighten the bleeder

Excellent. Thank you.

I'm not replacing anything that still works if I don't have to. Yes, I did buy the parts. I want to see if I can get more mileage out of the existing hardware first. This cruiser has had only 2 owners, low mileage for an "87, and is in real good shape, so hw may still be ok. Anyway, I don't want to loosen the hardline flare fittings - yet- if I can help it. Thanks for the tips, man!

Can use a vacuum bleeding tools to suck out the rest resivor and the lines the refill and bleeding the system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom