Early Wiper Motor Park Function (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

actually googling "wiper motor" and trolling through the images reveals quite a few that look very similar and could possibly be adapted in to do the job

Here's how I see it.

I do believe there are some serious compromises with using substitutes: the angle degrees of sweep, where the sweep begins and ends, any option to adjust those points, motor speed(s), mount position on the upper windshield frame to avoid hitting a softtop or rooftop, rotation direction (and possible reversal), "park" position whether left or right, shaft diameter and attachment for use with original wiper arms, interference with the stock visors, and so on.

With enough time and effort something can be made to "work," but some folks are looking for correct originality, others for ease of installation without drilling and/or welding-up existing holes. If authenticity isn't an issue, replacing the entire windshield frame with a later one using the lower motor remains an option, but again issues arise for the early FJ45LP-B trucks that use the front upper roof clamps.

I believe a lot of owners are waiting to learn of a successful substitute that is an easy bolt-on replacement that looks similar and functions as the original. Until that time, and even after that for purists, we are stuck with massaging the cranky originals. Unless one of the Masters takes on a repop project........................... but even so, as simple in operations as these may be, there are a lot of parts involved in recreating a similar-functioning unit. Perhaps a better idea would be to manufacture the most frequently worn parts and so to re-use the rebuildable older core units.

Or as some do, don't drive when it's rainy, or learn to endure. Less time in the wet can mean less rust, which is a good thing, right?

It would be great if an early Land Cruiser owner would report back on the installation details and operation of these and the difference from the originals.

Just dump the TNK and install FJ25 vacuum wipers. They fail just use the manual lever on the inside. Problem solved.

Kidding aside guess I been lucky on rebuilding the old Tanks. Only one I couldn't get to work was missing a part that prevented the wiper to slow enough to stop in the dead spot when turned off. Thanks to Mr. Pardion got a parts wiper to fix it. Had access to a machine shop when I was working. This is when I was rebuilding them so I know it's been a while since I got one from John. @pardion do you remember how.long ago this was?

Oh my gosh Mr. Pendle, @Living in the Past Let's see................................................ no I don't. After 1975 and before 2019 should narrow that one. I know in 1975 on my 65/40 I got good at taking off the TNK cover, buffing the commentator with crocus cloth, moving the grease back on the gears and firing them back up for a month or two. I never worried about the Park function because it was just as easy to turn off the switch at the right time to Park the drivers side. Passenger side did not matter. Best part about those old motors was to hear those motors humming and churning their gears. A sound I'll never forget. Can't wait a couple months when I fire up my 60/25 and actually see the vacuum motors I rebuilt moving. And Yes, I said...*a couple months". John

Oh my gosh Mr. Pendle, @Living in the Past Let's see................................................ no I don't. After 1975 and before 2019 should narrow that one. I know in 1975 on my 65/40 I got good at taking off the TNK cover, buffing the commentator with crocus cloth, moving the grease back on the gears and firing them back up for a month or two. I never worried about the Park function because it was just as easy to turn off the switch at the right time to Park the drivers side. Passenger side did not matter. Best part about those old motors was to hear those motors humming and churning their gears. A sound I'll never forget. Can't wait a couple months when I fire up my 60/25 and actually see the vacuum motors I rebuilt moving. And Yes, I said...*a couple months". John

Guess I got lucky and in 74 bought a 9/67 68 model which is the first month of the next generation wipers.

Over the years I found the easiest way to keep parts from failing is have a least three spares I've spend good money on just in case.

The vacuum wipers reminds me I need to find the vacuum wipers for #14. Having to relocate parts quickly last year threw my inventory system for a loop to say the least. Prior to that could usually find a part within five tries. Now who knows how many tries.:bang:

@pardion I have a question for you. Found my vacuum wipers today. I see the Asahi vacuum wipers use a Asahi wiper arm. Then the 61-67 TNK use a TNK wiper arm. What does the early TNK on the FJ25 use for wiper arms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom