SOLD Early 1988 FJ62 (September, 1987 build) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who’s ever done this, but I’ve got too many projects, so none of them are getting completed! [/sarcasm] I’ve got a 55, 60, 62, 80, 100, 120, 150, and a Sequoia, and with all of them seeming to need just a little something here and there, it’s a never ending effort. With that in mind, I’ve decided to sell the ‘88 FJ62 I’ve been reviving after a long ownership by two previous non-car guys. I’ve not finished it to the point I was striving to reach, but it’s quite near that point......and that’s why I’m pricing it by leaving some “meat on the bone.” I just need to thin the herd to keep everything else from suffering. Recent sales make me believe it’d bring a lot more on BaT or other sites, but that’s not my motivation right now. Reducing the number of projects is.....

Here’s a brief rundown:

- A very early FJ62 (September, 1987 build with rear fixed TEQ shoulder belts, not retractable);
- 244,339 miles (as of today);
- A documented replacement 3FE that has approximately 90,000 less miles on it than the truck itself;
- One of the best features of this truck is that it’s got a documented 27,759 mile (currently) replacement OEM Toyota A440F automatic transmission unit and OEM Toyota torque converter (35000-60100 and 32000-60030, respectively);
- Knuckles just rebuilt and all tie rod ends replaced, using parts from Valley Hybrids;
- New brake rotors;
- Interior is REALLY nice, due to (a) a new, OEM Toyota dash pad, (b) a new, OEM Toyota dash face bezel, (c) a new Sony car play-compatible head unit (I struggled with this, because I’m a HUGE OEM fan; however, much like expecting a vehicle to have a/c these days, I figure most people want a more modern entertainment system with Bluetooth) (d) Skar Audio front speakers, (e) new “correct” carpet and floor mats, and (f) a complete, tear-free OEM fabric interior (again, the interior is really nice!)
- Five 31/10.50R15 BFGoodrich A/T KO2s in great shape.

The truck is virtually rust free* (see below), and it runs and stops great.

The rest of the story:

- In 2005, the truck lived in Laurel, MS, (which is 100 miles north of the Gulf Coast), and it was hit by a falling tree during Hurricane Katrina. There was no water damage, but the tree required a replacement roof, along with all OEM glass (the windshield is aftermarket). As most of you know, the FJ62 market wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire in 2005, so due to the lack of value in these trucks at that time, the insurance company immediately wrote it off. Well, the owner at the time apparently loved the truck enough that he decided to spend a lot of time and money to buy the truck back, have the roof replaced, and have the truck repainted. Fast forward 15 years: the overall truck looks really good, but the hood and cowl* (surface rust) need to be repainted. There are some other nicks / scratches, but you can see in the photos they are few.
- The passenger front door has a dent in it that needs to be worked by a paintless dent removal shop.
- All 4 power windows work, but they’re slow. I haven’t lubed or otherwise looked into them. I just wanted to make sure to tell everything I know about the truck.
- Some people like the stainless rain gutter trim, and some don’t. I’m not a fan, but if you are, it would need that (it’s all still available from Toyota)
- As with every 6x in existence I think, it has some fluid leaks that need to be taken care of (engine, trans lines, maybe PS reservoir, etc.)

Anyway, I thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone is looking for one that looks great and can be driven and enjoyed without mortgaging the house to buy it. This is a very nice truck, and it drives nicely / has a really good appearance I sold one a couple of years ago that wasn’t nearly this complete - and had a non-original interior - for $16k, so I believe my price of $17,500 leaves some room to do other things to it and still be well “in the money”.....especially in today’s market! (My goal is to sell it soon - for the reasons stated above - but if I end up doing more to it in the meantime, understandably, the price will go up.)

Let me know if you have any questions and/or if you need more photos of anything. Thanks, David

Drivers side exterior.jpg

Passenger side interior.jpg

Rear exterior.jpg

Driver interior.jpg

rear seat interior.jpg

Where are you located?

Never mind. I just turned my phone sideways, and I see you’re in Oregon. Yeah, we’re a long way apart, but if you’re interested, let’s see if we can figure out an arrangement that could work.....

Send me a PM. Thanks.

Is it a salvaged title from the insurance writing it off?
No, it has a rebuilt title. There's a difference in MS. It went through a rigorous process of approval through the MS Department of Safety before the issuance of a rebuilt title. Basically, was an above-the-doors repair (no frame or mecanical damage,etc.). All gaps are correct and all OEM glass is in place - except for a replacement windshield somewhere down the line.

Wow nice rig!
If only my lawyers can speed up the process to get my truck replaced this would be a great replacement for my now dead 60 series.

I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who’s ever done this, but I’ve got too many projects, so none of them are getting completed! [/sarcasm] I’ve got a 55, 60, 62, 80, 100, 120, 150, and a Sequoia, and with all of them seeming to need just a little something here and there, it’s a never ending effort. With that in mind, I’ve decided to sell the ‘88 FJ62 I’ve been reviving after a long ownership by two previous non-car guys. I’ve not finished it to the point I was striving to reach, but it’s quite near that point......and that’s why I’m pricing it by leaving some “meat on the bone.” I just need to thin the herd to keep everything else from suffering. Recent sales make me believe it’d bring a lot more on BaT or other sites, but that’s not my motivation right now. Reducing the number of projects is.....

Here’s a brief rundown:

- A very early FJ62 (September, 1987 build with rear fixed TEQ shoulder belts, not retractable);
- 244,339 miles (as of today);
- A documented replacement 3FE that has approximately 90,000 less miles on it than the truck itself;
- One of the best features of this truck is that it’s got a documented 27,759 mile (currently) replacement OEM Toyota A440F automatic transmission unit and OEM Toyota torque converter (35000-60100 and 32000-60030, respectively);
- Knuckles just rebuilt and all tie rod ends replaced, using parts from Valley Hybrids;
- New brake rotors;
- Interior is REALLY nice, due to (a) a new, OEM Toyota dash pad, (b) a new, OEM Toyota dash face bezel, (c) a new Sony car play-compatible head unit (I struggled with this, because I’m a HUGE OEM fan; however, much like expecting a vehicle to have a/c these days, I figure most people want a more modern entertainment system with Bluetooth) (d) Skar Audio front speakers, (e) new “correct” carpet and floor mats, and (f) a complete, tear-free OEM fabric interior (again, the interior is really nice!)
- Five 31/10.50R15 BFGoodrich A/T KO2s in great shape.

The truck is virtually rust free* (see below), and it runs and stops great.

The rest of the story:

- In 2005, the truck lived in Laurel, MS, (which is 100 miles north of the Gulf Coast), and it was hit by a falling tree during Hurricane Katrina. There was no water damage, but the tree required a replacement roof, along with all OEM glass (the windshield is aftermarket). As most of you know, the FJ62 market wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire in 2005, so due to the lack of value in these trucks at that time, the insurance company immediately wrote it off. Well, the owner at the time apparently loved the truck enough that he decided to spend a lot of time and money to buy the truck back, have the roof replaced, and have the truck repainted. Fast forward 15 years: the overall truck looks really good, but the hood and cowl* (surface rust) need to be repainted. There are some other nicks / scratches, but you can see in the photos they are few.
- The passenger front door has a dent in it that needs to be worked by a paintless dent removal shop.
- All 4 power windows work, but they’re slow. I haven’t lubed or otherwise looked into them. I just wanted to make sure to tell everything I know about the truck.
- Some people like the stainless rain gutter trim, and some don’t. I’m not a fan, but if you are, it would need that (it’s all still available from Toyota)
- As with every 6x in existence I think, it has some fluid leaks that need to be taken care of (engine, trans lines, maybe PS reservoir, etc.)

Anyway, I thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone is looking for one that looks great and can be driven and enjoyed without mortgaging the house to buy it. This is a very nice truck, and it drives nicely / has a really good appearance I sold one a couple of years ago that wasn’t nearly this complete - and had a non-original interior - for $16k, so I believe my price of $17,500 leaves some room to do other things to it and still be well “in the money”.....especially in today’s market! (My goal is to sell it soon - for the reasons stated above - but if I end up doing more to it in the meantime, understandably, the price will go up.)

Let me know if you have any questions and/or if you need more photos of anything. Thanks, David

View attachment 2370720

View attachment 2370721

View attachment 2370722

View attachment 2370719

View attachment 2370723
I wish I saw this a few months ago. Beautiful truck. I just bought an 88 FJ62 and threw an OME heavy plus in, air locker, compressor and more. Lol..wanna trade?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom