E-Brake shoe mistake... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been slogging out redoing the brakes on my 100. Took a rest from trying to get those ****ing cone washers out to do the rear disc.

Could not for the life of me feel or see the adjuster through the disc so I let the handbrake off and started working the disc out with a bolt.

Just before it was about to come off a spring sounded like it broke or came off and now I can see the adjuster, but i can't get it too move, and I didnt want to force anything anymore.

What are my options now, continue with brute force to get it all off and then try put it back together again?

Alternatively whats the best course of action to get it drive-able to get a pro to look at it? The disc is not seated correctly anymore.

Yes, at this point you'll want to remove the disc/hub and inspect the parking brake assembly. The 'adjuster' is most likely seized (rusted/corroded) and will need to be addressed anyway. There are quite a few springs involved with holding the parking brake shoes in place. There are 'hardware' kits available that have all the necessary items to refurbish the assembly (including new adjusters).

If you are not familiar with the system....it would be best to take it to a professional. It can be difficult holding all the pieces in place while replacing the pins, springs, washers, etc....

IF you can get the hub/rotor back in place and it turns freely without making noise....it would probably be safe to drive it to have it repaired. Its unlikely any broken/loose parts could get between the brake shoe and the rotor assembly and cause any damage.

Thanks, I'll try get it back in place and let someone look at it properly.

I just did mine following a thread here and FSM having no familiarity with the system. I thought it wasn’t too bad and is a fine diy job for anyone mechanically inclined even with no experience. That being said, mine came apart without too much trouble and I didn’t have to loosen the adjuster to get it off. You’re working blind which makes it harder. I bet you could get it all apart just by pulling stuff but it could be a bear to get it all back together. Like @flintknapper said, lots of springs. At least if it comes apart in sequence, you’ll be able to keep track of it all for reassembly. I think I got my kit from Cruiser Outfitters but I don’t remember for sure, worked out great.

Anyway, I think your plan is probably a good one but if it seems like somethings caught or rubbing and you don’t want to drive it then I’ll bet you could get it done with some help from Mud once it’s apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom