E-Brake madness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
Dan,
Just got bad from the dealer. They never ordered the parts so nothing arrived today and I'll be re-assembling using the old parts. Should work ok but I'll have to straighten out one of the bell cranks as it took some hammer shots and an air impact hit to get a pin out of it. Everything is pretty rusted up in there. Nothing much anybody can do, at least now I know what I need and will just keep on these guys till I get what I need before tearing it down again.

Thanks

Rick,

&nbsp:Did some snooping. Here's what I have come up with:
There are 2 different styles of levers. In the book they lead parallel lives. 47624-60021, 47625-60021 (R/L) and 47624-60022, 47625-60022 (R/L)
The 60021's have a bit of arm(about 1 1/2 inches) that continues on past the "eye" that the stop bolt threads into. On my 93 those "extensions" ride in a sheet metal guide slot that is welded to the backing plate. It acts as a stabilizer.

The 60022's stop at the point where the "eye" is. The backing plate changes part numbers in Jan 95 I do not have a 95 up around to look at right now. My bet is the guide was eliminated. You probably need the 60022's. Next 95 up I see I'll look at the backing plates.
Dan

Dan,

The truck is back together and working. Some might call it good but I still want to replace those parts. I'm expecting the 60022 set. Thanks for looking into it for me, the parts guy was confused and expected me to make the call :dunno:.

Thanks again

Rick,

The Wulf just dropped by and I got under his rig.(97) It does not have the guide plates like mine does. Go with the 60022's

Dan.

Nope, the poor lad has been on selected street corners with his tin cup. I fear that he is progressing quite slowly. I think the hang-up is that he fails to hide the cruiser whilst he's beggin' for bucks. I think it's a back-drop issue :ugh:

>> ... street corners with his tin cup. <<

I have to work, unlike some folks, and can only shake the cup early in the mornings, at lunch, and after work. My "regulars" have caught on and now they just drive past and just shoot me the bird. Maybe it's the Armani suit?

-B-

Bell crank. That is the first thing I went to fix after I bought the 80. I went to fixing the stuck p-brake (frozen bell crank, broke it). From there I went forword, u-joints,t-case rotors,birfields, bearings etc. I am still not done yet :cry:
kurt

I STILL HAVE TO DO WHAT RICK IS DOING, (CHANGING THE E-BRAKES SHOES AS WELL AS THE BACKING PLATE ALONG WITH THE SPRINGS & MOST LIKELY ALL OF THE HARDWARE INVOLVED). AS THE SYSTEM ALWAYS GETS STUCK EVERYTIME I USE THE E-BRAKES AND I HAVE TO HAMMER THEM BACKING PLATE INTO POSITION (THANKS RICK FOR THE TIP).

I TRIED TO SERVICE IT / LUBRICATE IT BUT WITHOUT ANY LUCK. SO I STAY AWAY FROM USING FOR NOW.

AL

I don't know if is the right thing to do but I packed the bell full of grease so that it wont lock up with corrosion.
kurt

Well just finished the job on my rears. Believe it or not they had given me yet another wrong part, The pin that is used to hold the bell crank to mount was too long by about 2 mm. Went in anyways, I don't have the time to make another trip to get the correct one which will not be in stock.

The e-brake works great now. There have been posts in the past of poor operation which I attributed to larger tires but they now hold the truck hard even with the accelerator pressed some. I attribute this to the cable which attaches to the bell crank on the inside of the wheel. The pivot point was rusted solid on both sides and an air hammer was needed to break it free so I could replace it. Being frozen in place it wouldn't pivot as the bell crack moved so it didn't pull straight on the brake arm and allowed some "sponge" to be in the assembly.

Dan, thanks for the help and the offer.

Al, next.........

Al,
Well, I guess the good news is that the e-brake can be a functional part of the 80.

But it sounds like a complete r/r is required.
I tried to get by with removing the slack from the cable, didn't really help much.
Eduardo

Rick,

Thanks for your post and for describing the problems you found, all I have to do now is just find the time to get it done.

Al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom