E-brake assistance (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s been a while since I’ve posted here but looking for some help with finding an emergency brake solution. I bought this rig without knowing a ton about the work done to it as the guy I bought it from didn’t know much about it. Ive started the loooong process of fixing all of the issues and a bit stumped on the e-brake.
1964 FJ40 with a lot of changes made. It’s got a TBI 350, TH350, dana 300 t-case, dana 60 rear end and a 60 series front end (best I can tell). Also 4 wheel disc brakes with no e-brake which I’m hoping to install.
I’ve searched a ton here and see posts with el dorado calipers etc but not sure if they will work on my setup. Seeing that I have no experience with Dana stuff, I’m hoping for a bit of guidance. I can post whatever info or photos that may help.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

I believe those are the metric GM calipers refered to as Monte Carlo or El Dorado calipers. Those calipers can be replaced with a version that is the same plus it has an e-barke lever. You would have to rig up a cable pull , we have gone to pick n pull and got them from rangers, dakotas, t100's etc...
Some people find the rigging of the cable pull to be just too much work and the fj40 lever may not have enough throw to pull them tight. Some opt for a line lock which is simpler to install. There are also kits to mount a disc e-barke to the tcase output for the 300.

At the bottom of the following page offers an e-brake caliper that might fit this configuration. I used a similar setup from them and it works well.

That site Mike posted, scroll down to options, you have to pick the application, pads, and something else before you get to the e-brake caliper option ( FYI - you can order from Rock Auto for much less) and after the e-brake caliper option it has a cable kit as well so check out the site Mike posted above.

Thanks for the info. I dont have a hand brake now do I’ll need to figure that out as well. Not sure if I should look into a foot style lever or find a hand pull.

Is there a way to tell what Dana 60 I have?
Here’s the stamped numbers off the housing

IMG_4167.jpeg

Probably a modifed 60, ford 9" bearing cups to make it semi float, custom 6 lug axles, who knows what carrier and who knows which rotors were used ?
I would ask Lugnut4x4 if they offer the lever pull ( thats what 40's had) some under dash, some on floor.

I believe those are the metric GM calipers refered to as Monte Carlo or El Dorado calipers. Those calipers can be replaced with a version that is the same plus it has an e-barke lever. You would have to rig up a cable pull , we have gone to pick n pull and got them from rangers, dakotas, t100's etc...
Some people find the rigging of the cable pull to be just too much work and the fj40 lever may not have enough throw to pull them tight. Some opt for a line lock which is simpler to install. There are also kits to mount a disc e-barke to the tcase output for the 300.
I had a line lock in it until it leaked and I lost brakes on a trail. Luckily I’m geared low enough that I was able to pump the brakes to a stop. A bit unnerving to say the least. We’ll be heading to the rubicon this year or next and wanting a “fail safe” option that doesn’t rely on the hydraulics.

Maybe this will help. I tried looking up that number, but didnt come up with yours. Are there anymore numbers stamped anywhere?? Also, looking at those brackets, they look very similar to set I had from RuffStuff.

ruffstuffspecialties.com

I found this on the housing. I’ll see if google turns up anything

IMG_4168.jpeg

I too do not trust line lock, I am happy with my stock e-brake, I like the tcase output kits for the dana cases.

E-stopp is an electric actuator that replaces the lever/foot pull and could be a good option.
High Angle Driveline has/had the disc e-brake kits that go on the back of tcase.

I too do not trust line lock, I am happy with my stock e-brake, I like the tcase output kits for the dana cases.
I’ve looked at those as well. I had to have a custom rear DC drive shaft made and seems like there might not be room to put a disc on the tcase but I could be wrong.

E-stopp is an electric actuator that replaces the lever/foot pull and could be a good option.
High Angle Driveline has/had the disc e-brake kits that go on the back of tcase.
I looked at those several months ago. I’ll revisit the website again.

Rear drive shaft. Does it seem like there’s room back there to add the tcase brake? Do I need a longer yoke to install the disc?

IMG_4170.jpeg

Seeing the space you've got the e-brake calipers and cable may be the way to go and its a mechanical connection.

Seeing the space you've got the e-brake calipers and cable may be the way to go and its a mechanical connection.
Ya that may be the way to go. I think I’ll end up with el dorado calipers and figure out the rest of the cables somehow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom