DYI guy looking for advice to get garage going. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just getting started with 1976 FJ40 and have little to no experience working on cars. No problem. I bought this rig to learn on and have fun with. Now, the issue is what tools do I need to buy to get my garage up to speed to to work on my car. I have a few thing, but want to know what you guys would recommend.

What tools are must haves?

What tools are your favorites?

What would you take to a desert island to fix a TLC?

I have a decent budget and am really interested in acquiring the right tools for a broad spectrum of jobs.

Any thoughts?

If you're literally starting with nothing then I'd probably suggest that you look on CL for a mechanic that's selling his set. Much cheaper than buying new.

Most other guys like me have the basics and then buy specialty tools as the project warrants and over time you develop a nice collection. Box/opens, ratcheting box wrenches, and sockets (1/4, 3/8, and 1/2) are all must haves plus screw drivers, pliers, and 6", 8", and 18" crescents. For the screwdrivers, make sure to get hardened tips.

I could go on forever for a full list, but really just get what looks like a reasonable starting set, go do a couple of projects, and you'll figure out in a hurry what works and what doesn't. Otherwise you're going to spend a couple of grand on stuff you may/may not need.

I like your attitude a lot because I'm basically on the same pathway. My plan has always been to avoid buyer remorse when it comes to tools, but also to temper my enthusiasm with regular doses of reality.

What has been effective for me may or may not be the right way for you, but I'll share it anyhow.

What I've done is to set specific task goals, and tool up as needed on a job by job basis. The key has always been to start with the goal, and working backwards from there to a well considered plan. The cruiser is not my daily driver so I can spend some time to do a bit of homework, explore my options, think about how my short term project fits into the longer arc of my overall plan, accumulate the materials and tools that I need, and then do as high quality a job of it as I can muster.

Since my motivation, perhaps similar to yours, has always been to make my garage into a learning lab, I've tried to make tool choices with an eye toward accommodating future potential. That's paid off for me quite a few times, but it's an expensive way to live and it's not for everyone.

Is that a recommendation for you? I can't say. You wrote, "Any thoughts?" so there's mine. ;)

One of the problems is that a lot of different people have a lot of different ideas about their goals for Landcruiser projects. Some people do beautiful showroom quality restorations. Other people do "resto-mods" with extremely clean restoration AND performance upgrades. Still others build their cruisers for hard use or even extreme duty, where eventually the thing is so modified that there's not much of the original left.

Depending on what you're starting with and where you want to take this, you're going to have to prioritize the work and tool up accordingly.

While I agree with the above statements,

I have a full set of metric/sae 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets.
LOTS of extensions
Torque Wrench (in/ft lbs)
Impact Gun
Full Set of metric/sae end wrenchs
Stick Welder
Oxy Acet Torch
Mig Welder
Set of metric/sae allen wrenches
Set of star/specialty heads
1 Jack
2 TALL jackstands
4 Normal Jackstands
ALOT of 4x4" boards for support
C-Clamps
Numerous Pliers/dikes/crimps

Vehicle specific
Hub Socket
33mm tcase nut socket

The things I often wonder why I have not invested in (because Im cheap/poor/19yrs old)
Fitting Wrenches
Ring/Pinion Depth Gauge set
and other things that are situational...

The majority of my tools are hand-me-downs, freebies, or yard sale specials...
Every once in a while, you can find 'last year' model tools at a tool shop for 75% off.

If i was stranded on a desert island, and needed tools... It would be this Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more and a hub socket!

my faves...

BIG hammers

chisels

saws

files

torches

drifts and punches

VISE GRIPS

NON flux core mig welder

One good way to start is to get a 189 pcs (+\-) set from Chraftsmen when they are on sale, I've had a shop for 30 hrs and used this recently to re-tool. This set does a good job

One good way to start is to get a 189 pcs (+\-) set from Chraftsmen when they are on sale, I've had a shop for 30 hrs and used this recently to re-tool. This set does a good job

I agree and here is the set I bought to replace my travel set that I had stolen. Its very cheap for what you get and has a lifetime warranty. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
I would look at getting gearwrenches too. They are the best thing ever. and sears has them on sale. They also have a lifetime warranty.
I would get a large socket set too. I think they go from 28mm to 36mm which would cover all your big bolts on the cruiser except the crank pulley bolt.
a good set of hammers to include brass and rubber
Torque wrenches are a must. I use craftsman for these too. 1/2" and 3/8" drives. the 3/8" goes down to 5 ft lbs which will be low enough to use on gaskets. Some people will say to get one that reads inch pounds but you can find online calculators to convert ftlbs to inch lbs.
Full set of screw drivers.
set of different pliers
A good cordless drill and sawzall is good to have too. I use dewalt for all of my power tools.

I use Craftsman for just about everything. I have a few snap-on stuff. But where I live if I brake something with snap on, the guy is only in the area once every 2 weeks and sears is open every day.

Tool List

Fellow newbie here and I am in the same boat for the last coupler of months while I aquired my tools and got my work space ready. I compiled a list of basic tools from multiple threads and this is what I came up with:

I compiled this tool list from multiple threads:
Metric Socket Set
54mm socket
30mm socket
27mm socket
24mm six point socket
Deep well socket in 9mm
Metric Wrench Set
Big Adjustable Wrench
Metric Allen Wrench Set
snap ring pliers
Rubber/Dead Blow Hammer
Cross slot screwdrivers
Standard Screw Drivers
Propane torch
6" bench grinder
4" Angle Grinder
Drill, center punch, and bits
Assorted pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
Crimping tool
Breaker bar
Pry Bar Set
60 Gallon Air Compressor
3/8" Impact Gun
1/2" Impact Gun
Assorted Air Tools & Hose
3 Ton Jackstands
Engine Stand
Engine Hoist
Metric gear wrench Set
torque wrench - Sidchrome torque wrench
Hammer (BFH), Brass Drift, Punches
Bench Vise
Pickle fork
Brakeline/Clutchline Wrench (AKA Boxed End Wrench)
Stubby 12mm combo ratcheting and box end pivoting wrench
Multimeter
Wire and assorted connectors - Possibible Painless Harness
Vice Grips
Penetrating Oil like PB Blaster, Kroil, etc - lots of it!
Simple Green Degreaser

I went through my work area and checked off the items I owned and then created a list of tools I needed to buy. Harbor Freight, Northern Tools and craigslist have supplied me the tools I needed at decent prices. Here is a great craigslist search tool i picked up from a fellow mud member. It enables you to search multiple cities/states for items and it is pretty easy to use. States

I have a 1976 FJ40 that I am getting ready to work on. Check out some valuable opinions people shared about doing a restoration versus a refresh. It got me to thinking about my plans.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=440120&referrerid=56256

Cheers! :beer:

Last edited:
IMHO the two most important tools you can own;

Factory service manual for the engine and chassis.

You already have a PC and know where IH8mud is:flipoff2:

Don't learn the hard way that its better to buy good stuff to start rather than cheap. Cheap wrenches for example will flex open if the nut or bolt is tight at times making hamburger out of your knuckles.

Tools: When it comes to setting up a shop from scratch start with a basic tool set as mentioned above like a Craftsman set. They are warrantied for life (yes over time you will break some). When you find out what you use most buy Snap-on, Mac or Matco to your liking and you'll be set.
Jacks/Stands: I always over buy here. Get a 2 1/2-3 ton floor jack and good stands (remember stands are rated as a set, 2 ton stands means only a 1 ton rating each) over buy here 3-6 ton bigger is safer remember your under the rig while its on stands.
A good air compressor. (quick recovery means more work done)
Work bench and a good vice.
You will find other tools that help are pry-bars, pipes to slide over your ratchets for more leverage, drop lights, mag-lights AA to 4D, long nose/handle pilers, C clamps you'll add here every time you have a project.
My two must haves on the trail are Mag-light and a pry-bar
Just some ideas

Im a mechanic on the side and by far my favorite tools are my racheting box end wrenches and a good rachett set. Other than specialty tools i would buy a mini sledge and a good set of pliers and screwdriver of all sizes and kinds. Also when you get a rachett set make sure it is a big one with 8mm to 30mm if possible 3/8's and 1/2 inch are a must other than that a 54mm socket for yor FJ40s axle nuts and you should be on a good start. Oh and one more item you need a good impact gun it will save you many times

Good posts, I'd only add that make sure your jack stands are wide at the bottom. Different brands and models have different weight ratings, but wider is more stable. A high weight capacity jack stand is no good if it starts moving from side to side as the strength is purely vertical. A wide base is a necessity to keep your vehicle from moving from side to side when its up in the air and you are torquing on that stuck nut or bolt!

Good posts, I'd only add that make sure your jack stands are wide at the bottom. Different brands and models have different weight ratings, but wider is more stable. A high weight capacity jack stand is no good if it starts moving from side to side as the strength is purely vertical. A wide base is a necessity to keep your vehicle from moving from side to side when its up in the air and you are torquing on that stuck nut or bolt!
I second this wide tall and high weight rating are a must, ive delt with small unstable ones and they just scare me. I have two jack stands that have a 1.5square foot base and go up almost 3 feet they are the best

I got the craftsman 239 piece set with met and stand just incase I need the standard down the road. So far it has done everthing I need plus the replacement policy is great. On the advice of some people here on MUD i got the craftsman impact driver. By far the best thing I have bought so far. I dont think Ive had one bolt come out by hand so far so this thing is great.

Craftsman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom