Dusy Ershim Trail Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cruiser heads,
My roommate Henry and I are doing a 3 day run on the Dusy Ershim trail starting the morning of the 16, finishing the afternoon of the 18th. This is in lieu of our Rubithon adventure. While it’s short notice, if anyone wants to join we would love to have you join us! Located south of Yosemite, it’s 33 miles very similar to the Rubicon/John Bull. We plan on doing some fly fishing as well in the lakes at camp.
I know it’s last minute, but if you’ve been itching for an adventure let us know here! Not going to lay vehicles requirements or anything, but strongly suggest lockers, winch, 35s. But if you are one of those old school wheelers that can do without, so be it!
looking forward to meeting back up with everyone, hopefully before I move to VA.

6E816776-7399-4A56-813B-4B0EA23B7766.png

Cruiser heads,
My roommate Henry and I are doing a 3 day run on the Dusy Ershim trail starting the morning of the 16, finishing the afternoon of the 18th. This is in lieu of our Rubithon adventure. While it’s short notice, if anyone wants to join we would love to have you join us! Located south of Yosemite, it’s 33 miles very similar to the Rubicon/John Bull. We plan on doing some fly fishing as well in the lakes at camp.
I know it’s last minute, but if you’ve been itching for an adventure let us know here! Not going to lay vehicles requirements or anything, but strongly suggest lockers, winch, 35s. But if you are one of those old school wheelers that can do without, so be it!
looking forward to meeting back up with everyone, hopefully before I move to VA.

View attachment 2397891
Don't forget to post pics please!

A bucket list trail for me and so wish I could make it.

That trail is no joke, arguably much harder then the rubicon, due to its length and non stop obstacles. If you are figuring 3 days total be prepared for some long days behind the wheel. The avg MPH is much slower then the rubicon, I haven't done it myself always been on my list too, and I was planning a trip a few months ago and decided to forego once I've talked to a bunch of people that did it. Reports I got was 35" bare minimum, assuming the rest of the rig is fully built. To fully enjoy with time to take in the sights I was told by most that 5 days is best. Especially now with most trails being extra crowded, I don;t think this one will be an exception. Can't wait to hear the latest conditions.

Put us on the jealous list as well. I had a chance to run the Dusy about ten years ago but buying a house got in the way:rolleyes:

So jealous :cheers:

Looks fun...wife says no.

That trail is no joke, arguably much harder then the rubicon, due to its length and non stop obstacles. If you are figuring 3 days total be prepared for some long days behind the wheel. The avg MPH is much slower then the rubicon, I haven't done it myself always been on my list too, and I was planning a trip a few months ago and decided to forego once I've talked to a bunch of people that did it. Reports I got was 35" bare minimum, assuming the rest of the rig is fully built. To fully enjoy with time to take in the sights I was told by most that 5 days is best. Especially now with most trails being extra crowded, I don;t think this one will be an exception. Can't wait to hear the latest conditions.
We might take longer to do it, we aren’t locked in too much on a timeframe. Two SAS’d 4runners with dual tcases, chromoly shafts, locked front and rear, regeared, etc. should handle it pretty well!
We will definitely update everyone with photos and videos

Alright guys, late response but here we go.

What a dusy.

It wasn't the trip we had planned on having but we made the best of it. Day one our three rigs met at the gate keeper, introduced each other, and pushed off. we had two well built 4runners, and a very well built 80. @barneymc joined us, making the total 3. all vehicles were locked and appropriately geared. the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Mind blowing how much beauty was out there.
This trail is extremely narrow. Its not like the rubicon where you can chose multiple lines and bypasses. the trees completely seal you into the trail, and for full-size rigs such as the 80, body damage will occur. Big time.
we made it 9 miles in on day one, almost to the top of Thompson Hill-arguably the steepest, most technical hill I've ever wheeled, when carnage struck. the 80 shredded two tires, and one of the 4runners, destroyed a tire as well as blew an inner axle shaft (RIP OG Longfield shaft) which brought us to a screeching halt.
As time went by discussing options, we decided to go with a plan that honestly, I'd never recommend to anyone else- the one rig (my rig) still in good condition turned around to wheel off the trail, drive to town, and search for parts. There is no phone signal on the mountain, and my SpotX device wasn't working to send messages.
My father and I spent the next 4.5 hours at night wheeling back off the trail solo, fully aware that if we got stuck or broken we were screwed. But it was a risk we needed to take, and it paid out well. We finally got off the trail around 11:30 PM and made it to a hotel in Clovis around 2:45 AM. I wrote a quick synopsis post on the main TLCA page asking for help in procuring more wheels and tires as well as axle components, and finally fell asleep.
I woke up to multiple phone calls and messages from local 4x4 clubs and people offering help. Before I knew it, a local shop had allowed people to stage the parts needed at their facility, and a plan had been formulated by a local crew to head up the following day.
That night, I got a message from them saying they weren't able to go anymore due to work. So I knew I wasn't going to let the two guys stay a 3rd night on the mountain broken down, so I stripped my rig of everything, and loaded up with 3 spare wheels and axle parts to head back solo.
Luckily, another wheeler offered his help and met me halfway to the trail. These were amazing people who took off from work to help complete strangers. We headed up the mountain, got to our guys broken down, made some quick repairs, and headed out.
We made it 10 yards before the 80's drag link completely folded upon itself. Bummed and depressed, we took it off and beat it back into shape, installed it, and made it 10 more yards until it did it again.
Realizing we had no way to fix this on the trail, we took Barney in one of the rigs and decided we would head into town to get a new one. At this point we were in a time crunch, so staying with the truck was not an option.
We ran back into the guy who helped us, and he took Barney BACK to his 80 and with some welding and trail magic, Barney was able to limp the 80 to the entrance of the trail, where he camped another night.

Some takeaways-
Make sure your spare is in good condition. a dry rot spare is no good.
When choosing a satellite communicator, spend the extra money for the Garmin inreach explorer over the SpotX
believe in trail Karma

I'll post some photos shortly.

Yes, that was not the trip I expected either. My story is long and inspiring due to the effort that strangers can be willing to put in to help someone in trouble. I will have to tell the story at some point, but for now here are a couple of pictures. One is Shawn welding my draglink at 3:00AM on the trail, the second is he and Jesse putting my truck on his trailer a day later. The body damage Thomas mentioned can be seen in both pictures. Anybody got a spare left front fender for an 80?

Shawn&Jesse-trailer.JPG

Shawn-welding.JPG

Way to go Barney! I guess cabin fever was getting to you and you needed to brave a real trail. My hat is off to you.

Strange the Spotx wasn’t working. I have had mine work and another one work right by there, closer to Edison Lake.

The support you can get from the 4x4 community is.... is.... astounding!

Wow. Carnage is normal on this trail. Glad I saw this. I'm an 8 time victim of that trail and you guys really did not catch a break here. It's very tough in a wagon with all of the rocks constantly tipping you into the trees. Glad everyone is safe and off the trail, and better you broke so early on Thompson Hill rather than later in the center of the trail where there are no side exits. One year we had an 80 shear a sector shaft on the steering box at Divorce rock, which is basically in the center of the trail. Another year, my FJ40 caught fire on Thompson Hill and burned the wire harness enough that it took hours of teasing out little wires and reinsulating to get running again. Great memories for sure.

Barney, glad you got out there, that trails seems like no joke. Looking forward to hearing your story. Wow 2 tires, was one an old spare?

Yeah, buying a used tire and carrying it in the sun for 8 years while never using it is maybe not the best idea. What did I hear about your radiator issue at Afton Canyon?

Useless-spare.JPG

Much of the trail is quite difficult. Narrow gaps between trees and large rolling boulders while climbing speed hills. But the views are great, and the campsites beautiful, even if not chosen by choice.

Henry-and-view.JPG
log_bridge.JPG
stuck_here.JPG
tight_trees.JPG

Had to replace my radiator with a used one while on the trail that Jeff had and Bud brought up. Pulled the fan into the radiator at the crossing. Just got all new parts installed, fan, radiator, shroud and all hoses (20 I think) but one.

That's a bucket list trail for sure but not sure if I am ready to sacrifice Rathtar's sheet metal to it just yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom