Dusy Ershim trail 2018 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Big Ed

SILVER Star
Threads
Came off the trail Sunday, it’s clear all the way through. The F.S. dropped ten hazard trees in Ershim Lake Campground. We cleaned up the mess as best we could with the time and resources we had.

A29315AF-25B4-4C8B-937D-F6DE015EE203.jpeg

D08650C3-4322-449D-AF3A-D7827FDAC254.jpeg

76F5F069-8B2C-4257-9134-07AF7CD56A83.jpeg

8835B75F-6FC6-4F90-9599-EE105D1B0F02.jpeg

B54D3A9C-8CCA-4AA2-A998-68E324B4A48E.jpeg

Oh boy, look at all the campfire fuel. :cool:

Although the fire’s quite a ways away, we had smoke two of the five days. This was Sunday.
3B28508E-3ADB-45E7-B273-3AF9E1011DCB.jpeg

Couldn’t see the usual sights on top.
5A0685B6-529A-4D41-829F-460251ACBB07.jpeg

CB2AB2C4-9A8E-4DB9-8275-96C09022BB04.jpeg

Where's that big Cornbinder?

Yeah we basically thought the campers would gladly help dispose of the mess if we just turned it all into fire logs. :idea:

Where's that big Cornbinder?

Broken input shaft on the rear transmission. I didn’t make a spare when I did the modifications, or it would have been there. Two more shafts were shortened and splined yesterday, on their way to the heat treater now. Missed the opening, but it’ll still be ready for other trips.

Bummer. That's a pretty big load.

Broken input shaft on the rear transmission. I didn’t make a spare when I did the modifications, or it would have been there. Two more shafts were shortened and splined yesterday, on their way to the heat treater now. Missed the opening, but it’ll still be ready for other trips.

The creek crossing that kept the trail closed last year survived this year, and only had sediment to remove. This is my walk through picture from the end of June. The crew ahead of us removed the build up.

56D9B27C-3809-47B3-BB49-209DD3B0FBCD.jpeg

Good news. Headed up there next week.

How were the mosquitoes?

Looks like I will have to bring an actual splitting axe this time!

@Big Ed . Has the trail changed much since 2016? How was Thompson Hill and the rock garden just past Ershim Lake?'

Hopefully the smoke improves by next week. Don't want to miss out on some of those views.

Looks like I will have to bring an actual splitting axe this time!

@Big Ed . Has the trail changed much since 2016? How was Thompson Hill and the rock garden just past Ershim Lake?'

Hopefully the smoke improves by next week. Don't want to miss out on some of those views.

I would bring a maul, it’ll make your life easier.

Hasn’t changed much. Thompson and rock garden are about the same. I could talk about how gnarly Thompson is, but it’s normal for Thompson.

How many days you doing? On a long enough trip you should have at least a couple clear days.

Its funny to see cattle up there. Is that photo at lakecamp lake? I would not want to be part of that late season round up.

How many days you doing? On a long enough trip you should have at least a couple clear days.

Plan is for a full 4 days on the trail with an optional 5th, depending on repairs. I also plan on spending a day at the north end of Courtright just relaxing on the beach prior to the start of our run.

Its funny to see cattle up there. Is that photo at lakecamp lake? I would not want to be part of that late season round up.

Yes Lakecamp Lake, they’re there every year. I’ve seen the couple that manage them a few times over the years, including this year.

Awesome trail work Ed. Many thanks!

Awesome trail work Ed. Many thanks!

You’re welcome, and i’ll pass it on to others involved.

I should state I’m a member of Hill Hoppers Central Valley 4 Wheelers, we have an Adopt agreement for Ershim Lake Campground. That’s why the mess in the campground was left for us. Not that we’re complaining though, we asked the F.S. to fell the trees because they’re dead and dangerous. Volunteers aren’t allowed to fell trees for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom