Dusy-Ershim in my 80! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Ed,

I was wondering when you last ran Dusy in that I-H? I heard that last year (I think) they had a lot of trees go down on the trail. They cut & removed log sections, but left the main trunks where they fell. A couple of those cuts were fairly tight...

Anyway, best of luck with your run!
Ya,I walked the trail in June and reported all the trees down,took notes. Then I rode along the weekend we cleared the trail and again a couple weeks ago,I didn't see a problem. I take the truck through every October.

There's a guy on another forum saying he's taking his 1990 Dodge 1500 with 136 inch wheelbase and original unmodified bed through Dusy. It has D60s front and rear,I don't remember what else. I've been trying to talk him out of it for a few months now,he says he's done tight stuff before.

Yeah, I think many of those "scrape marks" are actually blazes to mark the trail. At least the ones in the wider areas...
Blazes are front and back,not on the side. And they are shaped like a lower case i.

An 80 series can easily do the Dusy. There are some tight spots but nothing too crazy.

I went this year for the first time with Andy and NorCal crew and we had a blast.

Definitely better than the Rubicon IMHO having done both now. And now my favorite hardcore trail in CA.

I like that the Dusy has a solid mystique that keeps people away. Big Ed and the Fresno crew have done a phenomenal job with that trail. It's a gem.

Hey Ed,

I was wondering when you last ran Dusy in that I-H? I heard that last year (I think) they had a lot of trees go down on the trail. They cut & removed log sections, but left the main trunks where they fell. A couple of those cuts were fairly tight...

Anyway, best of luck with your run!

That area wasn't even tight,no problems.

This has been fun to read. I ran Swamp Lake last year. I built up my Jeep to run the dusy this year (similar trails, but the dusy is twice as long). Unfortunately, it's been MIA for about a month. Next year, I'm hoping to take an 80 through instead.

I ran the dusy this year in my 87 4runner. I tip my hat to anyone who takes an 80 through there. It just seems like it would be a huge pain in the ass to take one through with its width. It would probably take a lot longer cause there would be a few 3 point turns. Also, people say it's a lot tougher these days than in past years, I never went on it in the past so I can't comment, but I can definitely say I wouldn't take my 80 thru there. There were sections of Thompson hill that were pretty difficult and my 4runner is on 39's, with dual cases, hydro assist etc. Fun trail, but just be prepared and dont underestimate it.

A bit of thread revival, cool!

I did this trail in August with a select group and we had an amazing great time. Basically no one else there. Thompson Hill if anything has gotten harder over the years. It took us hours on the top mile of Thompson, and capped it with a full on downpour/thunderstorm. We all got soaked. I've taken my 40 and my 60 though there. The 40 minus the top is much easier. The 60 at the roof line is wider than an 80 and has it's challenges. But what a great experience.

As long as your not afraid to winch a few times, the trail is definitely doable. You just need to remember that if you break in the middle of the trail, you might be there awhile. There's basically no help, no bailout, no bypass, no cell coverage, and it's all at 10,000 feet in the Sierra. Anyway, that's my advice; to winch before you break stuff. I winched twice this year, and the first time was not optional.

It's the best 4WD experience though, so go if you can make it work. I still own my FJ40 just to do this trail. Can't wait until August 2019!

A bit of thread revival, cool!

Imagine my surprise at seeing this revived! I loved the run, but once was enough for me (I think, we'll see...).

I've since gone back to 33's, and swapped my J's for regular 2850's & 2863's. I'm moving more toward expedition stuff. My wife love scenery & photography, so it'll be a good move for us. I've got a LandShark drawer system ordered. A fridge will be next, and probably a Magggiolina AirLand Plus.

Thanks for reviving the memories!

Take a look at the James Baroud tents too. Great dealer for them down in Escondido. I fell in love with the 360 windows of the Evasion I ended up getting. Let me know if you want a live look at one. We are close between MV and LN. Tent held up fantastic in some super high freight train winds in Anza this past weekend.

Let me know if you want a live look at one.

Thanks for the kind offer, Brent. I’ll take you up on that, if it’s convenient for you. I’d like to see it mounted on an 80, rather than just a showroom. When would be good for you? You can PM me, or call me direct at: 949-769-1744. Thanks!

pablo cadillac 18.JPG

what the XXL looks like...it's yuge.

Nah Chris, this was a full blown hijack!

I was just on the Dusy in October. We got an inch of snow one night. The trail has got much harder (IMO) from the last 2 winters we have had. Thompson hill is no joke, especially in an 80. As the trail sits right now I would have 35's and dual lockers at a minimum and a winch.

71782709_10220475914832966_5860254305822441472_n (1).jpg

71492825_10220475916473007_8474277792802930688_n.jpg

71747334_10220475918673062_5992123223582441472_n.jpg

Did a 100series join you on the Dusy trip?

Looks like fun! Did you take 2 or 3 days? What were your gas requirements?

yes the 100 was there, but he had no business being on this trail, unlocked and a 2 inch lift. Then we had another 80 that the gentleman was way too scared to get any scratches or body damage. We had to turn around near the top of thompson hill as the 100 series had no skids and the transfer case was getting abused to the point I felt it would crack. We had the wrong group. It is incredibly important you think about whom you are going in with. Our rules is we stick together so we reversed course. Any group I will be going with in the future I am going to want to know what they are driving and their skill level. Last time on the dusy we spent 6 days on the trail and took our time. I am going back next year for sure.

That looks awesome! Any chance more aggressive tires on the 80 would help make up for lack of front locker?

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom