Dusy-Ershim in my 80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few friends with built 40's invited me to run the Dusy. I've wanted to do this for years, and finally felt my truck was ready. What a challenging trail! You have to be constantly alert, as the trail was not built for vehicles the size of the 80. I removed the flares because I knew if I didn't the trail would do it for me! Without the flares I barely squeezed through a few very tight spots.

It took three full days of driving to go 30 miles. The first day (Thompson Hill) was 11 hours to go 9 miles.

I ran this trail knowing the risk of body damage. Fortunately, I had only minimal damage, and it was all in lower areas that I plan on coating with U-Pol. Also, I sheared a mounting bolt on my rear anti-sway bar, so I removed it for the balance of the trip. That was the extent of the carnage, so I feel very fortunate.

My lift, tires, and armor all worked great! As did the Trasharoo (thanks, Dave)! I was only able to take a few pictures because I was so focused on making it through without major damage. Fortunately, one of my buddies took a lot of photos. When I get them from him I'll add a few more.

Dusy-Ershim 2012 014.jpg

Dusy-Ershim 2012 022.jpg

Dusy-Ershim 2012 026.jpg

Nice job! Can't wait to do this trail.

Those pics are awesome, Chris! Thanks for posting them. Let me know when I can swing by with a thumb drive and download them all.

Nice job! Can't wait to do this trail.

Thanks, I've been wanting to do it for years and finally got the opportunity.

sweet, subscribed for more pics, I hope to run the dusy soon!

Thanks, I think it's probably the most challenging California trail there is for an 80. I say that never having done the Rubicon or Fordyce, but I've heard there are better lines for wagons and/or optional bypasses. Those options don't exist on the Dusy. Be prepared - it's grueling but exhilarating.

I was very fortunate to be with a group of good friends who were patient and willing to help me get through without trashing my truck. Two of my primary spotters have also owned and wheeled 80's, so they knew how the truck would react and were able to help me choose the best lines. Best of luck with your trip!

Nice work Joe!
Sounds like you guys had a great time......

Chris

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Awesome.

Quick question... Planning on hitting this trail maybe next month before it closes and wanted to know how much fuel you went through...

CDFarmer said:
Nice work Joe!
Sounds like you guys had a great time......

Chris

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Thanks, Chris. It was a blast! I wish you could have been there.

Awesome.

Quick question... Planning on hitting this trail maybe next month before it closes and wanted to know how much fuel you went through...

All of it! Literally! :eek: I ran out of gas on the last day going down a major obstacle. (What am I saying? The whole trail is a major obstacle! :crybaby:) In fact, one of the other 40's ran out of gas also.

I filled up in Fresno, but made the mistake of not topping-off in Shaver Lake. The 40 that ran out was towed to the trailhead and started with a full factory tank and stock 2F. Fortunately, we were able to scavenge some gas from the other two rigs. In short, I'd say if I had topped-off in Shaver Lake I might have made the whole trail on one tank (finishing on fumes!). YMMV... The safest bet would be to bring along at least a few extra gallons.

Another tip - We went through in three days, but they were full driving days (4 vehicles, taking extra time with my 80). We didn't really get to enjoy any camping, fishing, hiking, etc... If I go again, I'd like to add on at least one extra day for camping at Ershim Lake.

Best of luck with your trip!

Joe,

Sounds awesome! And yes, sounds like an extra day or two would have been a great add-on so you could smell the proverbial roses while you were there.....!

Thanks for the feedback. I had heard it was a dusy on gas... I have 3 Jerry cans of fuel so 15g should be plenty.

JohnGalt said:
Joe,

Sounds awesome! And yes, sounds like an extra day or two would have been a great add-on so you could smell the proverbial roses while you were there.....!

It was awesome! In addition to some extra time, I wish I'd had your refrigerator, too! :)

That's awesome!

1967 TLC said:
Wow, what a great trail run!

Gutsy to put the eighty through there. Although, a fully lock, armored and moderately lifted 80 can go almost anywhere a 40 can go.

You are now ready for the Rubicon!!

Great pictures!

Yeah, gutsy - or stupid! :) Maybe a little of both... The vehicle contrast was interesting. In terms of traction and articulation, the 80 was at least as good as the 40's. I can only imagine how well it would have crawled with the new lower t-case gears available. The big limitation on the Dusy is size, because of the trail width (mostly). My length only hampered me in a few areas with tight trees and/or rocks. The longer wheelbase probably helped more than hindered, overall.

Rubicon here I come! :)

More pics as promised - courtesy of Otis.

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0697.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom