Dura Tracs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is a Road Force balance? Is that a brand of balance machine?? Is it a technique?? Thanks, Dan.

Found this:
Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum - View Single Post - Road Force Balancing

Text:

"You have to remove the wheel and tire from the vehicle to have it road force balanced. What the machine does is spin the wheel/tire slowly while pressing a roller against the tread with about 1400 pounds of force. It measures the "loaded runout" of the wheel/tire combination. Then it measures, using other rollers, the runout of the wheel where the bead seats. Then it instructs the user to mark the tire and the wheel, remove them from the machine, break the beads loose, rotate the tires on the wheel to match the marks, then re-inflate and re-mount the wheel/tire on the machine. Then it spins it again to measure the results, then spins it up so balance weights can be applied in the usual manner.

OK, now what's it REALLY doing?

It models the wheel bead mounting surface as a circle that is not necessarily concentric with the rotational axis of the wheel. For the technically literate, that's the first order radial harmonic. It models the tire as a circle that's not necessarily concentric with its beads. It then computes how to mount the tire on the wheel so that the "high spot" of the tire is at the "low spot" of the wheel. Again for the technically literate, it puts the first order harmonic of the tire out of phase with the first order harmonic of the wheel such that they cancel as much as possible.

What that does is minimize the net loaded radial runout of the wheel/tire combination. In layman's terms, it makes the tread surface, under load, as round as possible, relative to the axis of rotation of the wheel.

Does it work? Absolutely. Very expensive machines are used to do the same thing with the tires and wheels that are mounted on new vehicles at the factory. The Hunter GSP9700 does it just as well and it does it in a tire shop. Ask Michelin -- their engineers bought the first six of them Hunter produced.

You can road force balance wheels at any time. I've done it with my own tires at 50,000+ miles. Tires sometimes change their loaded runout with wear, and road force balancing can improve their performance."

Why wouldn't it work? I run 29 / 32 per door jamb on my Cooper Zeon LTZs (E Range) and they ride great (for an E tire). Wear is very even so far and vibration is minimal.

Our definitions of "what will work fine" seem to differ, but I'll just say this: you are correct, it _will_ work just fine, just as will inflating a regular P-metric equivalent to about 20 PSI. But you will overheat your tires, get increased wear (even if it wears evenly across the tread), and most likely lower your fuel economy. If this is OK with you, then you are right, it will work just fine (for you). :D

edit: BTW, lower pressures on an LT E rated tire will most definitely run smoother and nicer than having them at proper pressures, as you've noted. Your truck probably runs much smoother than mine. But you will still get all of those other effects.

All that said, since I don't tow or haul or do the Rubicon in this truck, and therefore don't need the extra plies and higher pressure capabilities of an E rated tire, I will most likely be looking at D's for the replacements...

Last edited:
What is a Road Force balance? Is that a brand of balance machine?? Is it a technique?? Thanks, Dan.

It is a new(er) machine. Click top right to locate one.
Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can’t fix

Went to Good Year today, they balanced and balanced again, same problem, but got worse. Got so bad my steering wheel was shaking... They are ordering two new tires for the front, installed tomorrow, thought they were out of round. Hope this is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom