Dual ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK , lets try this one more time;
Pic of my latest project.

and;

dfm

Last edited:
dfmorse said:
really nice! :cheers:

Did you just congratulate yourself??

How about an explanation of the pics? Are the systems redundant (then what's the point)?

:confused:

Its set up so that if the Jacobs system fails, u can switch in the standard system. By flipping the switch to center off position, the cruiser won't start. Sort of a theft protection option. Power, either 12v battery or 12v switched is available plug and play, although the pics don't show this well.
dfm

Why?

If you are having ignition issues to the point that you feel that the need for having a dual set up is the only thing that is going to get you home, I would put big money down that you have another issue, that you are not even close to uncovering, and this contraption is only masking it.

But hey, I could be all wet too...

Good luck!

-Steve

Yep; ur all wet. I like to wire stuff up and make it neat. Old habits never die when u approach 70.

dfm

What does the Jacobs offer that the stock ignition doesn't? Is it a capacitive discharge box? If so, can you actually tell the difference on a 2F?

Nothing wrong with a little redundancy I guess.

Well, the thing is that I've had Jacobs on all my cruisers. The output pulse is really clean and quite high in voltage, which allows the plug to fire under almost any condition. There is some interesting data on this somewhere on the forum, just don't recall where. On a really good running engine, there is not much noticable difference; except when its 20 below outside; then the capacitive discharge ignition really shines. I've got a couple of the units in my juck box so I decided it was time to trace wires, inspect same and put the wiring right. Some of the connectors were getting corroded after 20 years so they needed cleaning. Once u use one of these gadgets, there is no going back. It does give maybe 1 mpg better in mileage, but; as I mentioned, if you have a 2f thats burning oil, the cap discharge will keep u running longer than stock.

Anyway; its just a personal thing; I like a neat ignition where I know where every wire goes...

I've also set this up so I can put the original distributor back as soon as I get the dist cleaned up and checked out.

dfm

Yeah, I'm working on my dual battery/dual alternator set up. Modified smog pump bracket on desmogged 2F with 100 amp GM alternator going to optima yellow top, with independent wiring for winch/fog lights/ stereo/etc. Stock alternator (35 amp) to red top and all stock systems. If a component of any system A fails, just transfer cables to system B. Also have a spare coil in place beside coil A in case of coil failure. Kind of like in helicopters; redundancy for safety. Word. Here's some pics of the set up in place and the modified smog bracket (holes enlargened, pipe spacer, special bolt).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom