Dual battery question/issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the input fellas, appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Back to the original issue of the thread ... in a a dual battery setup, if the battery is isolated and circuit open, should be able to sit for a long time (at least a few weeks no question), without discharging.

If you can, I suggest a multimeter and running it across the top of your second battery when the vehicle is off and everything is supposedly “disconnected”. If you’re drawing a current that means you have a short somewhere, and if you need a CPAP finding that short will be far more valuable than all sorts of upgrades.

not a fun project, but my last rig pulled 80 mA at rest ... I chased shorts a ton but ultimately got it clean and she could sit for weeks on end.

Back to the original issue of the thread ... in a a dual battery setup, if the battery is isolated and circuit open, should be able to sit for a long time (at least a SNIP...econd battery when the vehicle is off and everything is supposedly “disconnected”. If you’re drawing a current that means you have a short somewhere, and if you need a CPAP finding that short will be far more valuable than all sorts of upgrades.

not a fun project, but my last rig pulled 80 mA at rest ... I chased shorts a ton but ultimately got it clean and she could sit for weeks on end.

I'm the one with the CPAP. No problems with an at rest short for me. I've got some small loads (charging circuits mostly) that are present, but nothing that's either unknown or a problem AFAIK. I agree it's worth checking into such things if you encounter a problem like the OP's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom