1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drum

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by nicksfj-40, Feb 27, 2007.

1. nicksfj-40

nicksfj-40

Can somebody explain to me how brake drums wear unevenly and need turned? I just dont see how something spinning from a fixed point can wear unevenly???? Is this chat?

2. nicksfj-40

nicksfj-40

Ahh. the myseries of the universe. Maybe a special about this will come on after the Jesus Tomb special.

3. Rocinante

Rocinante

Crap gets in there, they get corroded, the pad pressure is not 100% equal. They can also warp a little.

4. orangefj45

orangefj45 Supporting Vendor

the only two logical explanation i've heard are:

1) somebody applies the parking brake after the brakes were used extensively and have gotten pretty hot causing the drums to distort.

2) hitting some cold water when the drums are hot causing warpage also

easy fix: disc brakes! :grinpimp:

5. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

x2!! I made the swap in the front can't wait to do it in the rear too :D

6. Cruiser_Nerd

Cruiser_Nerd That 25 Guy. Moderator SILVER Star

Heat, contamination from dirt, wear, dirt causing heat, hot spots, wear, sudden cooling, rapid heating, case hardening, sudden cooling, heat, dirt, wear. All the same things that ruin a rotor and make it wear unevenly and warp......................just a little less dirt with discs. Or are we saying discs never wear unevenly or warp? :D Now it's chat. :flipoff2:

7. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

The interface between the drum and the hub flange does not support a large enough surface area on the drum for the thickness of the metal that Toyota used in making them IMO. When the wheel is bolted down over the drum, the pressure causes the face of the drum to distort. The distortion transfers outwards to the rim.

You can turn a stock Toyota drum 'true' in a lathe, and as soon as you bolt your aftermarket wheels back on, the drums will be oval again.:eek: Cleaning the inside of the drum AND the face of the hub will help a lot. Making sure that the center of the hub is not pinching the center hole in the drum will help a lot. Careful and even sequential tightening of the lug nuts will help.

If you don't have patience for this kind of stuff, disc brakes are the answer. Following these procedures, my drums work properly, and I am very happy with them.

Best

Mark A.

8. nicksfj-40

nicksfj-40

Thanks guys. I was wondering.