drum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crap gets in there, they get corroded, the pad pressure is not 100% equal. They can also warp a little.

the only two logical explanation i've heard are:

1) somebody applies the parking brake after the brakes were used extensively and have gotten pretty hot causing the drums to distort.

2) hitting some cold water when the drums are hot causing warpage also

easy fix: disc brakes! :grinpimp:

Heat, contamination from dirt, wear, dirt causing heat, hot spots, wear, sudden cooling, rapid heating, case hardening, sudden cooling, heat, dirt, wear. All the same things that ruin a rotor and make it wear unevenly and warp......................just a little less dirt with discs. Or are we saying discs never wear unevenly or warp? :D Now it's chat. :flipoff2:

The interface between the drum and the hub flange does not support a large enough surface area on the drum for the thickness of the metal that Toyota used in making them IMO. When the wheel is bolted down over the drum, the pressure causes the face of the drum to distort. The distortion transfers outwards to the rim.

You can turn a stock Toyota drum 'true' in a lathe, and as soon as you bolt your aftermarket wheels back on, the drums will be oval again.:eek: Cleaning the inside of the drum AND the face of the hub will help a lot. Making sure that the center of the hub is not pinching the center hole in the drum will help a lot. Careful and even sequential tightening of the lug nuts will help.

If you don't have patience for this kind of stuff, disc brakes are the answer. Following these procedures, my drums work properly, and I am very happy with them.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom