Drum Brakes! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
Well I was going to update my project thread but this is really a new subject. I took a few pics of the original brakes for those that haven't had the privilege of working on them yet.

This is a simple system.......when working correctly and adjusted........stops like a 45 year old truck used to stop like.......45 years ago! :D

Here's the bare backing plate:
BackingPlate.JPG

Here's what I call the upper adjuster. It turns 270* from the flat side (the minimum setting) to the highest point (maximum setting). I set the flat side as to be against the new shoe (minimum adjustment):
Upperfront.JPG

I drew a little picture on the back to remind where the flat spot was and which way to turn it. :rolleyes:
UpperBack.JPG

This is the lower adjuster. These turn 180* from minimum to maximum. The little notch will be visible from the rear of the backing plate and you can see here how it matches up with the fat part of the adjuster:
LowerAdjuster.JPG

Here are the lower adjusters from the back. Point both the notches to the middle (minimum adjustment).
lowerback.JPG

Here they are from the front. Good thing they put those little marks on the back because you can't tell the difference from here.
lowerfront.JPG

Got lazy here and skipped a few pictures. The shoes are on the bottom adjusters. I use a little white lube there. The piece on top of the shoe on the right is a metal retainer covering a felt washer. I put a little white lube on that too.
retainerfelt.JPG

A horseshoe clip goes over that and you squeeze the ends together with a pair of channel locks.
retainerclip.JPG

Skipped a bunch more pictures here, but you get the idea. Here's the works put together. There is no leading or trailing shoe, both are the same.

The wheel cylinder is straightforward. 1" diameter cups from your friendly local parts store, hone it out and reassemble.
finished.JPG

Slap on brake drum and adjust! Pump the brakes a few times take a break and let them relax. Start on the lower adjuster give it a little twist until you feel the shoe drag and back off a smidge. Repeat for the other side. Then do the same for the upper adjusters.

Done! If you've ever done drum brakes on a 40, you're smiling right now! :D

Oh yeah, if I did something wrong or you've got a tip, speak up!
done.JPG

I definitely don't miss those :).

Best way to change to disc would be to swap in later cruiser axles with disc in the front and one of the kits for the back. Don't throw out the 25 stuff, we'll find a home for it.

Steve that's new, SOR had them listed now to long ago, just have to find some where to get your old shoe relined. I think Jim has already done it.

John

Get 'em relined. Or put fj40 axles under there. Very few will notice the difference ;).

Landcruisersteve said:
Since SOR lists the shoes as discontinued and unavailable, where can ya get them??

You should be able to get them relined locally. If you need a set of cores to do them ahead of time, let me know. I haven't had to reline any yet, seems that all my parts trucks had a brake job done immediately prior to being permanently parked. :D

Jim, what direction do the lower adjusters rotate for minimum (notches facing each other) to maximum?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom