Drove the Grenadier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!
Like the post and thread below, yesterday I drove the Ineos Grenadier.
@DesmoPilot posted here: Ineos Grenadier - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ineos-grenadier.1309431/

I was impressed! Solid, smooth drive....though I don't have a good reference. I drive either an 01 de-AHC'ed LX or an 03 Tacoma. I haven't driven a new or even newish 4x4 truck/ute in forever. Compared to my LX and Taco everything probably feels good!

It wasn't a long test drive...1/4 mile of desert trail out the back of Bumble Bee Ranch. And we could only drive in 4-Lo and there are no ATRAC/ABS/VSC equivalents enabled in these proto-types. Tyre pressures were lowish - 25 psi...so that might explain some of the smoothness.

Things that really stood out to me:
- the drive shafts are almost equal in length and have CV's and not universal joints.
- suspension gear is stout and thick.
- gas tank does protrude but is seriously well protected. There's no where really to put an aux tank. The main tank is supposed to be 25Gallons and at 18 MPG (apparently) range is pretty good. If I needed an aux gas tank (have one in the LX and love it) I think I'd consider deleting the muffler in the rear and putting something up in there.
- engine and transmission are really high in the frame, really high. There's a huge cavity under/behind them before you get to the transfer case. A stout bash plate covers this area. They said that they needed to this because there is so much front axle and drive train articulation.
- body shape is spacious and boxy. Very well thought out. I admit I have always been partial to the defender look. The thing is bigger than an old defender though, inside and out. Pictures are deceptive.
-BMW B58 engine is really smooth, throaty at the back (two tail pipes). 8 spd transmission is a amazing (then it would be coming from the same 4 spd in my LX and Taco). Has a full manual mode (that wont shift up for you at all). If you are in drive and switch from auto to manual - you start in 2nd gear. 1st gear is crazy low. Engine is severely de tuned with a gentle rev limit at 6.5 k rpm (cuts gas and spark so it just sort of peters out instead of cutting out. Timing chain at the rear of the engine...and a cartridge filter on the top side of the engine.
- the example with the winch had two batteries, both under the second row seat. There is some really beefy wiring (like 2AWG) headed off in all directions. It had a CETEK SmartPass to connect the two batteries.
- the winch is an 11k lb unit with very accessible - out the front - clutch lever and operated by wireless remote. The overhead switch panel has a 500A switch to a relay that must be engaged to operate the winch...and the engine must apparently be running to operate the winch. Also when you get the package winch they run heavy amperage wiring to the front AND rear. I saw on an overseas site that the witch option is $7k though.
- 320 W outlet in the rear...means ample low voltage drop wiring for a fridge...and remember the batteries are right there under the second row.
- the snorkel is ok. When no snorkel is installed there are bolt plates in the passenger A-pillar to add one and a access vent behind and above the front wheel. Though... if that is the air intake when no snorkel is installed...its pretty low ~30" from the ground...I'd prefer it higher above the engine. Maybe it is. We could not open the engine bay. Looking from underneath the radiator fan is electic and large. I think its turned off when you hit the wading button (again on that over head switch panel which I just love). There are a lot of radiators. There's the big engine one, and its huge (looking through the grill), the top half of witch overlaps with another...then inside the LEFT and RIGHT hand side of the bumper there are another two radiators. The turbo has its own, with the exchanges right in the air plenum. I didn't see it myself, but my buddy who I took along and who got to drive his own vehicle saw engine temp, transmission temp (2 readings) and even he thought diff temps, all in degrees on one display page or another. We weren't supposed to be playing with the screens etc.
- there's no where prepared for a HAM radio/COM's set up. That seems like an oversight to me...especially they want this thing to go to the UN/NGO/mining types?
-wheel lugs appear to be the familiar 6x5.5 pattern.
- there is a active traction control, vehicle stability etc...and you can get the Trail Master package that is 3x lockable. The transfer case lever also does the center lock, in both 4 lo and 4 hi. Nice to have a lever for all that. Switches above for the front and rear diff locks if optioned.
- Can not be flat towed...there's no neutral in the transfer case.
- love that the FSM is supposed to be available for all via download...even to a phone app, and possibly the center display even.

I think thats it....
Would I buy one....I think so, will I, ... probably not at first.
I need to figure out a 6th seat. I think I can add one via the seat track in the back...for the littlest child.
But realistically, $100k for a car just doesnt feel like me....I could get a nice 200 for half that...cheap a$$ that I am.
I would love it though...checks all the boxes! I really do think its built to last.

what, no pic ?

A German made 80 series? I guess everything now will have turbo’s, not a fan there. You did an excellent review, I got a notice about that test drive in Mayer area, but yeah $100K???? I DO like a solid front axle as I feel a proper, rugged 4X4 should have one. I have asked many times about pricing and they shrugged that off. I guess a used 80 is still the best option for us that like solid front axle 4X4’s👍

Sad that Toyota ignores its USA based 4X4 fans that prefer solid front axle over IFS. At one point manufactures built purpose built vehicles and “listened “ to what their customers wanted much like Jeep does now. Now it’s all about “market analysis”, so everyone gets a kinder, gentler, soccer Mom 4X4, with its “nicer” ride🙄. I own a 5th Gen 4Runner and it is a great vehicle but I also know enough to know it is NOT a purpose built 4X4 like a solid front axle 4X4 is, take the 80 as an example. Because of this I have considered a Heep but because of the Toyota reliability I went 4Runner, but can’t run my 40’s forever…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom