Dropping fuel tank on kzj70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to drop the fuel tank on my 1994 kzj70 3.0L and was wandering if there was a technique to doing so? Is there an inspection hatch above it from the boot to dissconnect things before dropping it? Thanks very much!

I have a 1985 BJ73, but I guess yours will not be very different.
There is a hatch in the floor that allows to get to the fuel sender on top.
Fuel lines to be disconnected right at the tank, from under the vehicle.
On my BJ73 there is a cover in the wheel arch that allows access to the filler neck and the respective venting hoses. Not sure what the setup on a 70 is, though.
To drop the tank: Empty it first. Support it and remove the brackets.
Don't be surprised if it doesn't move then. There are some felt strips on top, which might have engaged in a thight bonding with the underbody protection and have literally glued the tank in place. I had to eventually prey it out, using a wodenblock between tank and frame, to distribute force and move the tank horizontal a bit to sheer that bonding loose. Heard of a guy here with the same issue.
Here is a good post on that
Good Luck Ralf

I have a 1985 BJ73, but I guess yours will not be very different.
There is a hatch in the floor that allows to get to the fuel sender on top.
Fuel lines to be disconnected right at the tank, from under the vehicle.
On my BJ73 there is a cover in the wheel arch that allows access to the filler neck and the respective venting hoses. Not sure what the setup on a 70 is, though.
To drop the tank: Empty it first. Support it and remove the brackets.
Don't be surprised if it doesn't move then. There are some felt strips on top, which might have engaged in a thight bonding with the underbody protection and have literally glued the tank in place. I had to eventually prey it out, using a wodenblock between tank and frame, to distribute force and move the tank horizontal a bit to sheer that bonding loose. Heard of a guy here with the same issue.
Here is a good post on that
Good Luck Ralf
Thank you very much for the info! Could you tell me more about the hatch in the floor? My floor has had soundproofing glued quite thoroughly to it so not sure where the hatch is. I can feel a circular bit toward the rear of the boot so might try that?

Yep, that will be it. Round, fastened with some Philips screws. If you press the Sound deadner a bit, the shape should become more visible.
Cheers Ralf

Edit
I just recall: on my BJ, the connector for the sender unit is actually on the harness thst traverses from right to left on the rear crossmember, just in the middle. Maybe you don't even have to open thst hatch.

Yes, sounds right then, it's about 100mm in diameter. I'll see if I need to use it, at least I have the option. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom