Drivers Side Differential Seal Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I assume that the seal gets installed and pressed until it won't go any further, is this correct?

Thanks.

Yes, press them till flush and you should be fine.

I assume that the seal gets installed and pressed until it won't go any further, is this correct?

Thanks.

Not exactly- you can press it in too far and if you press the seal in till it stops, it will probably leak. As mentioned above you press the seal in until its evenly flush with the edge of the seal retainer. Helps as a reference to take a picture of how it was installed before you remove it (that is if it wasnt already leaking)

The old had a slow leak, so i don't have a picture. Below is a picture of the little metal scar that tore that last seal. I have removed that now, so as far as the seal retainer, assume you mean just inside the rust line (in pic)?

The old had a slow leak, so i don't have a picture. Below is a picture of the little metal scar that tore that last seal. I have removed that now, so as far as the seal retainer, assume you mean just inside the rust line (in pic)?

Yeah thats it, the rust line. As you can see there is no edge/lip to stop the seal, so its easy to press it in too far. Lube outside of the seal with gear oil before pressing it in, and use some grease around the inner seal when you go to re-insert the axle.

Yes, just drive it in until it goes all the way. DON'T use excessive force to drive it in. Just gentle taps will make it to go all the way in. Stay with OEM seal, aftermarket oil seals won't last as much as a toyota seal + those most like will deform during installation. Apply a layer of grease to the oil seal lip before you slide the CV axle through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom