Drive train options ... again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been reading as much as I can about the options that I have for my Cruiser project. I have a 5.3L Vortec with a 4L60E trans (2WD) that I will be packaging into my '79 FJ40.
???
Here's what I have been considering:

1) Change the rear axle to a center diff. I'm not too concerned about having front drive since this FJ40 will be my daily driver, on road use only.

2) Purchase an AA adapter for trans to transfer case and keep the rear LC axle. I have some reluctancy about having to have someone put in a new output shaft just so I can use the adapter. The engine and trans combo has about 10 minutes on it, so I don't want to compromise the powertrain.

I know money will be flying either way. At this point I am only concerned about packaging and the cash that it is going to demand. $800 or more bucks seems like a whole lot of money for an adapter. Then again, that's what it might cost me to get an axle to work in the rig. I see there are a lot of options from the tech links section, I'd probably be happy with the cheapest or easiest to get.

Which way would you go?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

2wd would be by far the cheaper way to go. I would think a mini truck rear would fit if you just want to DD it. They are very cheap.

You can always change it as money and time permits, but I sure would not stay 2wd for any reason. The 40 series is a horrible DD. It's whole purpose for being has to do with being a 4wd go anywhere vehicle. That would be like putting a Geo 1.0L into a Corvette.

Just my opinion.

Gumby,
:bow:
You're right (pardon my lack of details, I guess I might have seemed a bit non cruiserhead like) - I just want to get it on the road for the summer, then explore options for 4WD when I take it out of service for the winter. I have another FJ40 that's for the winter/trail.
Would I have to put new spring pads on the minitruck axle? Can I do the rear disk brake conversion on it also (like I did on my LC rear axle)?

... Thanks much for the input

Glad to hear it. I mean, it's your truck and you can do whatever you want with it, but....

I would think there would be some info out there. If not, remind me and I can take a bunch of measurements off the mini and see how they would match up. There's a lot of folks that have gone to centered diffs, there's got to be some that didn't want full width or have access to FJ-25 axles

Maybe a Pirate search on mini vs. lc axles?

You can run a centered tcase to the offset cruiser diff as a temporary measure.

It does not sound like you will be wheeling much with it initally anyway.

But by the time you get done with making something fit and driveshaft issues you will have wished you did it right the first time ;)

This makes me sick :eek: you are going to leave an FJ-40 2WD because you are afraid to change output shafts. Just wrong but to each his own I guess.

:-/ Changing or modifying your output shafts really isn't as catastrophic as it may seem and besides with the amount money you'd be likey to spend getting and installing a new rear axle, it wouldn't make the output shaft mods seem like such a bad option. I beleive CV UNLIMITED (www.cvunlimited.com), out of Hemingway, SC sells FJ40/60 Landcruiser axles with centered diffs. Hope that helps in some way :D

is the 4L60E from a 2wd different from a 4x4 ?

:eek:
Woa, I didn't expect this much play on the issue, but here goes...

Jason - It's currently an economic issue. I'd like to get it on the road ASAP becasue I'm over my mileage with my lease vehicle ($0.20 per mile, ouch). Oh yea, most importantly I love my LC and would hate to have it in the garage for the summer.

Todd - You guessed right, at that time I wasn't too envolved with the club becuase my life belonged to the Chevy Avalanche.

Slowerthanu - Point taken. What I have is a complete powertrain that I know works (and is validated). I'm afraid of everything that can go wrong with removing the trans, having some yahoo at a local shop change the output shaft and not torque all the fasteners to the right specs (or make a careless error because I am not there to watch him), then put it back together and find out later that there is a problem. I've been down that road before and always keep this in mind - no one will care as much about a Cruiser than the owner. If you want the work done right most of the time you have to do it yourself.

Gus - You also have a good point that I have considered. Yea the adapter route seems expensive now, but it may cost me more to do what looks like to be the simpler/cheaper solution with the center diff.

This is an interesting issue that I want to make sure I fully understand before I make a decision on which way to go. That's why I'm glad to have this board to go to ask questions. &nbsp:Drive train mods is something I haven't done before, so I look to the people that have done them that can give me some feedback. Like I said before - all comments are appreciated. If I'm about to do something stupid, I want to know about it :slap:.

Thanks all, I look forward to reading more in the morning.

Dylan - I though that a 4L60E was the standard part, regardless of 2WD or 4WD, but I have been told that the output shafts are different. Some one tell me if I'm wrong.

On that note - why does the AA adapter kit require me to change output shafts on my "split" bellhousing, but not on the one piece bell housing of earlier model years? There must be a reason.

Thanks Again everyone

i seen you pimpin your yota in pontiac this summer during the music weekend. BLASTING TECHNO MUSIC.

remember "that guy" that jumped out of a big red chevy on 38's and ran back and said " nice jeep" yeah. .that was me just messing with ya. haha.. small world.

see ya on the trails!!

nick

??? so you want the cruiser and the chevy v8 but dont want to take the time or effort to go all the way.maybe you need a postal jeep.

73FJ,
Your comment is appreciated, however I may not have been clear on my intentions for the vehicle. Eventually, it will get 4WD - and which ever way I go I'm going to spend the time and effort to do it right next winter. As a temporary measure, I want to get it on the road as fast as I can since the weather is getting nice. It will not see any off road activity this season (I have another Cruiser for that).

...So my inquiry was to tap into the knowledge base for options that I may not have considered. I wanted to carefully think alternatives before taking action. It just may be that the fastest route is to go with the AA parts. Since I have not done any major powertrain modifications, I figured the best way to educate myself is to ask the board (people that have done major drivetrain mods) for some direction. If you've got a $1,000 to lend me for the summer, I guess my decision will be made.

Thanks for your comments...

I might have missed it but what's wrong with the 2F? I'm not preaching originality, but your cheapest option with the least amount of issues would be repair the engine you have or put in a cheap used F/2F to drive for the summer.

I have never put in a V8 (taken a few out), but everyone I've talked to says don't even think about it unless your prepared to do it right. The conversion stuff alone will end up costing you as much as a Toyota 6.

Not saying you shouldn't do the SBC, just wait until you have the project plan laid out and the time to do it right.

Just my opinion though.

Here is what I would do. You have a good 4l60e, so sell it and use the money for a 4wd trans and Marlin crawler to toyLC case conversion. You can probably get decent cash for the trans and buy a cheaper non-electronic transmission and the crawler box conversion. I don't know about the conversion, but you may not even have to change outputs no changing rear end and you'd be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom