Dreaming of a low profile bumper/hidden winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been interested in a winch mount/bumper for a while. This afternoon I thought about what an ideal solution would look like. There are several hidden winch mounts out (some better than others). If you go this route then you have to figure out recovery points and a filler plate to protect the radiator. Then there are the "low profile" bumper options that kinda all feel out of place aesthetically on the front of a GX. Just a bit too much metal that doesn't flow with the lines of the front end like they do on say a Tacoma IMO. Once you add recovery points and radiator protection to a hidden winch mount, the cost difference between these two options seems like a wash.

In my mind the ideal low profile bumper/hidden winch would look something like the lower half of a coastal off-road bumper melded into a bumper cut. With a design like this you would protect the radiator, have solid recovery points built in, gain some approach angle and be able to maintain the aesthetic of the front end. Plus you could throw a "bash bar" behind the bumper to add a bit more protection on the side of the factory bumper if that is something you are into. I'm sure there is something that is missing with this as I'm pretty new to off road trucks.

Here is an illustration of what I have in mind.
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 9.17.39 PM.png

What do you all think? Do feel like the perfect low profile bumper/ hidden winch already exists?

I think this is the fill plate you are thinking of creating. This guy sells them.

7DD82F49-8F95-4947-BE31-752A31276E45.jpeg

I think this is the fill plate you are thinking of creating. This guy sells them.

View attachment 2731341
As I understand it the problem you run into is these filler plates are designed around the factory mounts on the crash bar. If you install the SSO Hidden winch you basically have to fab something up custom to fill the gab since it doesn't have mounts. The Trail Tailor hidden winch does have the mounts but then you have to buy two filler plates ( if you do a bumper chop) and recovery points. Plus the winch is lower and not centered on the bumper which some people dont like. This was kinda the point of the post. There is a just a ton of extras that you have to buy to get something complete compared to the low profile bumper options for other platforms. YES these exists for the GX I just dont really like how they did them with very focus on the body lines of the GX470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom